Hooligan Sparrow Sun 18 September 2016 CCA
Sun 18 September 2016
7pm, £6 (£4.50), Cinema
Book online / 0141 352 4900
Related CCA Events
Thu 15 September — Sun 25 September 2016
Dir. Nanfu Wang, China USA, 2016, 84mins
Brave, daring exposé of human rights abuses and governmental intimidation in China.
Director Nanfu Wang follows maverick gender activist Ye Haiyan (aka Hooligan Sparrow) as she protests against local authorities’ failure to hold officials accountable for a string of sexual abuse cases against children. Soon, both Wang and Haiyan are branded enemies of the state and subjected to intimidation, with Wang forced to film in secret and smuggle her footage of out the country.
Documenting harassment, interrogation and surveillance by uniformed and secret police, Wang’s nervy camerawork vividly conveys the grip of repression that leads so many in China to police themselves into silence – and embodies the incredible courage of those who refuse to give in.
With short film No Offense (Kris Borghs, Belgium, 2016, 6min40sec)
BEYOND THE SCREEN
Join us after the film for inspiring conversations and opportunities for creative, effective personal action, with guests including Naomi McAuliffe (Scotland Programme Director, Amnesty International).
Presented in association with Amnesty International.
To book your tickets and to see the full 2016 programme of screenings and events please visit www.takeoneaction.org.uk
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- Folk Wi’ The Patter – Shaun Moore
- African Wall Art and Stories by Lantern Light
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2021
- Black History Month, Being A Black Woman in Society Today
- COP26 Glasgow Trade Union and Workers Bloc
- Black Histories on Film at Glasgow Film Theatre 2021
- BFI London Film Festival 2021 at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Last Night in Soho, Glasgow Film Theatre
- French Film Festival UK 2021
- October Break Free Food Giveaway Glasgow’s East End
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Glasgow Film Theatre Announces Return of Christmas Programme
- Tanna Slamma Ding Dong, Tannahill Arts Festival
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- The Children’s Wood – Nicola Davies with Readings and Screening
- St Andrew’s Day– Torchlight Parade
- West End Festival 2021
- Family Weekender at Websters
- Screening: It’s Not All Rock and Roll
- Glasgow’s Golden Generation – October Bunjee Jump