Helen MacKinven Glasgow Women’s Library Story Cafe´Special, Thursday 25 February, 2016.
Story Café Special: Helen MacKinven
February 25, 2016 @ 12:30 pm – 2:30 pm
GWL’s Story Café provides a uniquely intimate way of hearing from some of the best Scottish women writers. Helen MacKinven will chat about her fierce and funny debut novel, Talk of the Toun. An uplifting black comedy of love, family life and friendship, it’s a bittersweet coming-of-age tale set in the summer of 1985, in working class, central belt Scotland.
Lifelong friends Angela and Lorraine are two very different girls, and a growing divide in their aspirations puts their friendship under increasing strain. Artistically gifted Angela has her sights set on art school, and although Lorraine’s ambitions are focused closer to home, Angela has plans for her too…
Effortlessly capturing the religious and social intricacies of 1980s Scotland, Talk of the Toun is the perfect mix of pathos and humour as the two girls wrestle with the complications of growing up and exploring who they really are.
Fresh, fierce and funny… a sharp and poignant study of growing up in 1980s Scotland.
‘You’ll laugh, you’ll cry…you’ll cringe’ – Karen Campbell
The event is for women only and suitable for 16+. Cost is £2.00 and you can pay on the day. Subsidised or free places are offerd for students, people on a low income, unemployed or those in receipt of benefit and Friends of GWL.
Register for the event online or Telephone: 0141 550 2267 to register your interest and have your name added to the Story Café mailing list
Glasgow Women’s Library, 23 Landressy Street, Glasgow, G40 1BP
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Public Reception Streetworks
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Santaland and Season’s Greetings Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow