Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
Tuesday 15 October, 2018 – 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Hunter Halls. Gilbert Scott Building. University of Glasgow. Glasgow G12 8QQ.
Join Louise Welsh and the University of Glasgow Chapel Choir, as they celebrate Glasgow’s Welcome, a children’s book about the arrival of a refugee family to Glasgow.
(Prof Louise Welsh)
Louise Welsh will be in conversation with the author, Jennifer T. Doherty, and illustrator, Gillian Robertson, about their recently published picture book Glasgow’s Welcome. Jennifer and Gillian will talk about what inspired the book, how they researched and created it, and what the response has been since its launch. The book is published in English, Arabic, and Gaelic.
The University of Glasgow Chapel Choir’s regular Choral Contemplations programme will include songs sung in Gaelic, Arabic and English. The choral pieces will be interspersed with readings from Glasgow’s Welcome read in English by Louise Welsh and Jennifer T. Doherty, in Arabic by award winning poet and film maker Sawsan Al-Areeque and in Gaelic by Gillebride Mac’IlleMhaoil.
Creative Conversation 5pm to 5:45pm
Interval 15 minute – free refreshments
Choral Contemplations 6pm – 7pm
The event is FREE, but please reserve your ticket at EventBrite
This event is supported by The University of Glasgow’s Interfaith Chaplaincy
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Art on the Exchange Glasgow
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Carols in the Garden, Wilton Street, Glasgow West End
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- CinemaAttic – Catalan Film Festival CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Light Up Maryhill
- G20 and The Children’s Wood Christmas Fair