Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
Tuesday 15 October, 2018 – 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Hunter Halls. Gilbert Scott Building. University of Glasgow. Glasgow G12 8QQ.
Join Louise Welsh and the University of Glasgow Chapel Choir, as they celebrate Glasgow’s Welcome, a children’s book about the arrival of a refugee family to Glasgow.
(Prof Louise Welsh)
Louise Welsh will be in conversation with the author, Jennifer T. Doherty, and illustrator, Gillian Robertson, about their recently published picture book Glasgow’s Welcome. Jennifer and Gillian will talk about what inspired the book, how they researched and created it, and what the response has been since its launch. The book is published in English, Arabic, and Gaelic.
The University of Glasgow Chapel Choir’s regular Choral Contemplations programme will include songs sung in Gaelic, Arabic and English. The choral pieces will be interspersed with readings from Glasgow’s Welcome read in English by Louise Welsh and Jennifer T. Doherty, in Arabic by award winning poet and film maker Sawsan Al-Areeque and in Gaelic by Gillebride Mac’IlleMhaoil.
Creative Conversation 5pm to 5:45pm
Interval 15 minute – free refreshments
Choral Contemplations 6pm – 7pm
The event is FREE, but please reserve your ticket at EventBrite
This event is supported by The University of Glasgow’s Interfaith Chaplaincy
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- No Radio Silence – launch of film by Unity Sisters
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants, Carlton Studios
- Carols in the Cloisters, University of Glasgow
- Kittlin at Paisley Abbey
- Scottish Writers Christmas Speakeasy 2021
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Interview with Evelyn Lawrie
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – First Screenings Announced
- C7 Christmas Spectacular: A Jangle Journey