Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
Tuesday 15 October, 2018 – 5 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Hunter Halls. Gilbert Scott Building. University of Glasgow. Glasgow G12 8QQ.
Join Louise Welsh and the University of Glasgow Chapel Choir, as they celebrate Glasgow’s Welcome, a children’s book about the arrival of a refugee family to Glasgow.
(Prof Louise Welsh)
Louise Welsh will be in conversation with the author, Jennifer T. Doherty, and illustrator, Gillian Robertson, about their recently published picture book Glasgow’s Welcome. Jennifer and Gillian will talk about what inspired the book, how they researched and created it, and what the response has been since its launch. The book is published in English, Arabic, and Gaelic.
The University of Glasgow Chapel Choir’s regular Choral Contemplations programme will include songs sung in Gaelic, Arabic and English. The choral pieces will be interspersed with readings from Glasgow’s Welcome read in English by Louise Welsh and Jennifer T. Doherty, in Arabic by award winning poet and film maker Sawsan Al-Areeque and in Gaelic by Gillebride Mac’IlleMhaoil.
Creative Conversation 5pm to 5:45pm
Interval 15 minute – free refreshments
Choral Contemplations 6pm – 7pm
The event is FREE, but please reserve your ticket at EventBrite
This event is supported by The University of Glasgow’s Interfaith Chaplaincy
- Document Human Rights Film Festival 2019
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- Paisley Halloween Festival 2019
- Samhain: fire and jam session Halloween, North Kelvin Meadow
- Let’s Go Green Family Day Kelvin Hall
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- Art Exhibition at The Arlington Baths Club
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Halloween at OranMor
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Cancer Support Scotland Christmas Fayre 2019
- Creative Conversations: Abir Mukherjee – Crime Novelist
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall