Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
Tuesday, 15 October, 2019, 6.30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Sogo Art Gallery
EXHIBITION RUNS UNTIL NOVEMBER
Journalists and photographers bear witness to the changing world around us and challenge power on our behalf, but across the globe they are threatened for doing their job.
Leading foreign correspondent and photographer, David Pratt is currently hosting an exhibition of his photography at the new Sogo Arts gallery in Glasgow. Only With the Heart charts his work covering conflict around the world, including South America, the Middle East, Africa and Europe. Through his professional experience he has worked with journalists from across the globe, seen attempts to threaten journalists and press workers, and has covered some of the most important stories of our time.
The exhibition is running until November, but Scottish PEN will be hosting a panel discussion on conflict, journalism and press freedom on the evening of Tuesday 15th October in the gallery featuring David Pratt; Egyptian journalist, Abdulrahman Ezz and Scottish PEN Project Manager, Nik Williams. It will be chaired by Writers at Risk Committee co-chair, Jane Archer.
This will be an opportunity to explore the different threats to journalists across the globe, what needs to change to ensure they can work free from all threats of censorship, imprisonment and violence, as well as celebrating the power of journalism to help us make sense of the world.
The event takes place on the eve of the two-year anniversary of the murder of Daphne Caruana Galizia. This pioneering Maltese journalist challenged entrenched state and corporate secrecy, attempted to unpick webs of corruption and inform the public, and for this her life was taken. At this event we will commemorate her legacy, join the international movement to ensure that her murder is adequately investigated and stand in solidarity with her family, the people of Malta and everyone who values independent and robust journalism.
The event will be followed by a reception to enable you to view the exhibition and ask David any questions that may arise.
Sogo Art Gallery, 82-86 Saltmarket, Glasgow G1 5LY
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Oscar Marzaroli Exhibition Streetworks
- Art on the Exchange Glasgow
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Christmas Shopping at Thistle Books Glasgow West End
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Making Her Mark Launch Event
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge