Glasgow Piano City, Lids Open Day, Museum of the Moon, Mackintosh Church
Sunday, May 27th, 2018 at Mackintosh Queens Cross
A Unique Lids Open Day during the installation of Museum of the Moon.
Mackintosh Queens Cross Church,870 Garscube Rd, Glasgow G20 7EL
You will find a 7 metre diameter globe hanging from the ceiling, lit with incredible NASA quality images of the lunar surface to inspire you. There will be 3 pianos to play: the Steinway Grand Piano on stage, the Baillie Scott Broadwood upright and also ‘Beatrix-Rose’, decorated by Avril Paton.
Entry £3. Doors will be open to the public throughout the day.
This is an opportunity for beginners or experienced pianists to try out one of the pianos on the day. Those intending to play are being asked to complete short form *see bottom of page to help with logistics on the day and to avoid any jams.
Programme for the Day
The day will break down roughly as follows:The first two hours ( from 11am – 1pm ) are generally intended for children receiving tuition ( supported by our project funding or from local piano teachers ) and also for beginners or people who are more shy of an audience. Remember – doors will be open to the public throughout the day. There will be a ‘free play’ block of time from 1 – 4pm for the Steinway Grand Piano on stage, with the last hour reserved for some invited players.This may change on the day and be included in as ‘free play’ time. You can leave the main hall and go to another space where you can have a cup of tea / coffee and play Beatrix-Rose any time. The table below shows how the day will look. We aim to be flexible about everything as ever and respond to ‘ walk-ins ‘.
For a good sense of this event, and of the building, you can watch short film by Charlie Stuart. For a taste of what to expect when you walk in to the Moon in Mackintosh Queens Cross watch film by artist , Luke Jerram. ere.
Timetable for Lids Open Day
Spring 2018 with Museum of the Moon
Sunday May 27th ~ Mackintosh Queens Cross ( 11am ~ 5pm )
Beginners . . . 11.00am ~ 1pm
11.00am ~ 11.45am . . . 11.45am ~ 12pm . . .
12.00pm ~ 12.45pm . . . 12.45pm ~ 1pm . . . a wee break
Free Play Session . . . 1.00pm ~ 4pm
Play the Steinway Grand Piano on stage in the main hall ~ with around 10 minutes ( up to 15 mins max ) for each person.
(No need to book for this, just turn up & play. ‘We will do our best to give everyone some playing time’ )
1.00pm Stan 1.15pm Graeme 1.30pm 1.45pm
2.00pm Kevin 2.15pm Derek 2.30pm 2.45pm
3.00pm 3.15pm 3.30pm 3.45pm ~ 4pm . . . . a wee break
Off the Cuff peformances . . . 4.00pm ~ 5.00pm
More details of who’s being invited to play will be published soon on Glasgow Piano City website
4.45pm ~ 5.00pm . . . . . total eclipse
This event can offer an invaluable opportunity for you to play, listen, experiment, doodle, sing . . . just you, alone at the piano. Experience playing a high quality acoustic piano and sense how you feel on stage.
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- Sav Aiello Yoga Savvy Classes
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Balloch Open Mic – Vale Lad ‘Done Good’ – again
- Hogmanay Live Event – ‘One singer one song’
- Online End of Year Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Carlton Studios Crowdfunder Saturdays FB Livestream
- Balloch House Hotel Open Mic (in abeyance)
- Christmas Exhibition 2020 – Compass Gallery
- Festive Concert with Dave Arcari
- Refuweegee Festive Benefit Gig
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Opening Film and Closing Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2021