Glasgow Gigs: The Hellfire Club,Les Johnson and Me, The Zips, Saturday 8th March, 2014
After a long break ‘With The Hellfire Club’ returns to the Griffin bar on Saturday 8 March, and we felt we couldn’t ignore the sad death of Lou Reed last October without paying tribute to the great American song writer. So for this first event of 2014 some of Reed’s songs will feature in both our own and our guest artists’ sets. Speaking of which, we are very pleased to announce that on the 8th will be joined by the splendid Les Johnson and Me and the punktastic The Zips.
The voice of Les Johnson and Me is described as “somewhere between gentleman Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash and Tenessee Ernie Ford with a distinctly Glaswegian twang”. Their debut album, 15 Hands, is due out very soon, but two tracks are available for immediate download at http://lesjohnsonandme.bandcamp.com/. We can’t wait to hear their distinctive brand of American roots music performed live and in the flesh.
The Zips are one of Glasgow’s original punk bands. Formed in 1978, they initially split-up in 1981, but, having reformed in 2001, they continue to be very active throughout the European punk scene. Their last album, 19 Forevva, is available on the Tenement Toons label (TEN19) and at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/thezips1. Though the band perform as a four-piece with bass and drums, it is likely that for their appearance on the 8th they will take a more stripped-back, but just as compelling, acoustic approach.
Remember, as we have continued to keep the entry price at a bargain £3 please come early if you want a table.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- SongWriters Uncovered Series 2019
- Fairytale of Glasgow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, South
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Nick Harper with Carol Laula and Port Erin CCA
- West Princes plus King Wine at the Hug and Pint, Glasgow
- The Great Western Festival of Musical Exploration and Discovery
- East End Free Festival Glasgow
- Rod Picott The Admiral Bar
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios