EMANCIPATION ACTS Writer/Director Alan McKendrick, Merchant City 30, 31 July & 1 Aug
Writer/Director Alan McKendrick
30, 31 July & 1 Aug
1pm at The Briggait
A series of outdoor performances exploring Glasgow, the Caribbean slave trade and the abolitionist movement.
Join us for the inaugural Scottish celebration of Emancipation Day, celebrated annually across the Caribbean. Make your way around locations in Glasgow’s Merchant City as we bring to life the story of the city’s role in Caribbean slavery using drama, dance and music. Find out why the Gallery of Modern Art would not exist but for the slave trade. Tread the path taken by wealthy Glasgow merchants on their return from the slave plantations. Hear about the abolitionist movement and the Glaswegians who supported emancipation.
A cast of professional actors, musicians and dancers joined by a community cast drawn from African and Caribbean communities in Glasgow.
Booking essential. Tickets are available at http://bit.ly/1jPWRAd, or by calling 0141 353 8000 or in person at Glasgow City Halls Box Office.
- Grease The Musical at Websters Theatre Glasgow West End
- Bend It Like Bertie at Websters
- Rose at OranMor
- This Is Where We Get Off – Websters Theatre
- The David MacLennan Award – A Play, A Pie and A Pint
- Addicted the Musical at Websters
- Islets of Silence at Mugdock Theatre
- The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe review by Danielle O’Neill
- Myra’s Story, Websters Theatre
- Drag Opticon at Britannica Panopticon
- Scottish Opera in Cumbernauld – Opera Highlights
- School of Rock, Theatre Royal Glasgow
- Derren Brown, Kings Theatre, Glasgow
- Jordan Mackampa at Cottiers
- 3 Women and a Boaby, McChuills GICF
- Glasgow International Comedy Festival 2022
- Moorcroft, The Tron
- The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe – Theatre Royal
- Orphans, National Theatre of Scotland
- Company at Websters