Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw – French Artist Explores ‘Lost In Translations’ Thistle Gallery, 17 August – 3 September, 2017
FRENCH ARTIST EXPLORES – ‘LOST IN TRANSLATIONS’
Thistle Gallery, Scottish Contemporary Art
A memorable collection of artwork produced by French artist Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw who made Glasgow her home back in the late 1980’s with her Scottish husband.
Elisabeth has a passion for recycling and to this end she gathers treasures during her travels in the Far East along the Silk Road.
‘Lost in Translations’ is a series of pieces created after a trip to Hong Kong and Cambodia collecting newspapers, books and designs. Her intention is to recreate a true ‘Blue and White’ effect with lettering. The Red Chinese ‘double happiness’ sign, which is present in a lot of her work, is a favourite of hers. The stone seal, used to produce it, was hand carved by an artisan in Malaysia at her request.
When creating her art Elisabeth applies traditional paint finishers on hard boards, every item used for every board is up-cycled – gesso, chalk, wax, pigments, stencils , rubbings and distressed effects. She finishes her pieces using natural waxes giving them a timeless aged feel. Elisabeth frames pieces in recycled wood.
A selection of Elisabeth’s work will be displayed in the Thistle Gallery from August 17th until September 3rd as part of our popular annual Summer Breeze Show.
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Sammy’s Lockdown #5
- Aly Bain and Phil Cunningham at Cottiers
- Lockdown Video – Mic Clark
- Scottish Writers Showcase 2 Creative Conversations
- Calypso Windrush Caribbean Film Festival
- SHA Virtual Kiltwalk Weekend 2020
- La Belle et la Bête – Open Air Screening
- Scottish Writers Creative Conversation Showcase
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow