Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw – French Artist Explores ‘Lost In Translations’ Thistle Gallery, 17 August – 3 September, 2017
FRENCH ARTIST EXPLORES – ‘LOST IN TRANSLATIONS’
Thistle Gallery, Scottish Contemporary Art
A memorable collection of artwork produced by French artist Elisabeth Viguie-Culshaw who made Glasgow her home back in the late 1980’s with her Scottish husband.
Elisabeth has a passion for recycling and to this end she gathers treasures during her travels in the Far East along the Silk Road.
‘Lost in Translations’ is a series of pieces created after a trip to Hong Kong and Cambodia collecting newspapers, books and designs. Her intention is to recreate a true ‘Blue and White’ effect with lettering. The Red Chinese ‘double happiness’ sign, which is present in a lot of her work, is a favourite of hers. The stone seal, used to produce it, was hand carved by an artisan in Malaysia at her request.
When creating her art Elisabeth applies traditional paint finishers on hard boards, every item used for every board is up-cycled – gesso, chalk, wax, pigments, stencils , rubbings and distressed effects. She finishes her pieces using natural waxes giving them a timeless aged feel. Elisabeth frames pieces in recycled wood.
A selection of Elisabeth’s work will be displayed in the Thistle Gallery from August 17th until September 3rd as part of our popular annual Summer Breeze Show.
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Paisley Book Festival – A Kist of Thistles
- Film Festival Institut Francais
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- Interactive Map – Global Burns Suppers
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The Acoustic Night Special Nice ‘n’ Sleazy
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Burns Celebration Online Tannahill Centre
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021