Diverse Communities with Leela Soma CCA Tue 4 August 2015
Scottish Writers’ Centre
Diverse Communities with Leela Soma
Tue 4 August 2015
7pm, Free and unticketed, Clubroom
The SWC is proud to present a ‘Diverse Communities’ open reading event, hosted by Leela Soma.
This will be an evening of poetry recitals and short story readings, from members of Scotland’s diverse ethnic communities. Reading one’s own work is a vital experience, as a means to gain feedback and cultivate a distinct voice. Listening to the stories from those of different backgrounds is a foundation stone for a dynamic society of enlightened individuals.
Leela Soma was born in Madras and now lives in Glasgow. She worked as a Principal Teacher of Modern Studies. Her poetry and short stories have been published in a number of anthologies and publications, including Gutter magazine. She won the Margaret Thomson Davis Trophy for Best New Writer in 2007, for her then unpublished novel Twice Born (which was later published by YouWriteOn in 2008). Her second novel, Bombay Baby, was published by Dahlia Publishing Limited in 2011. Boxed In, a short story collection, was published by The Pot Hole Press in 2013. She was shortlisted in the Pitch Perfect competition for Bloody Scotland, at the Crime Festival in 2013. Leela is a finalist of the Scottish Asian Woman Award 2014, for the category Professional of the Year 2014. She was commissioned by Glasgow Women’s Library to write a short story for their 21 Revolutions anthology, published March 2014. Leela has served on the committee for the Milngavie Books and Arts Festivals.
This is a free event, open to all.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Sarah Smith World Hearing Day Dennistoun Library
- Clairmont – Lesley McDowell Book Launch
- Glasgow Literary and Music Lounge at The Scotia Bar
- Seeing Glasgow: An Artist’s View – Avril Patron
- Ajay Close Creative Conversations
- Maria Fusco – Creative Conversations
- Books at the Green with Chris Dolan
- Creative Conversations: Donna McLean
- Fundraiser for Medicin Sans Frontieres
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- From Glasgow to Saturn #51
- Poor Things Screening plus Alasdair Gray Archive Q&A + Exhibition
- Filmmaking with Kevin Macdonald at Glasgow Film Festival 2024
- Gray Day 2024
- Alasdair Gray Archive – Free Tours
- Scottish Writers Centre Speakeasy – Fooers fae the fillin station #2
- Books at the Botanics
- Creative Conversations: Jim Carruth
- Close Range Coulport – poem by Finola Scott
- Peace Poetry Night