Diverse Communities with Leela Soma CCA Tue 4 August 2015
Scottish Writers’ Centre
Diverse Communities with Leela Soma
Tue 4 August 2015
7pm, Free and unticketed, Clubroom
The SWC is proud to present a ‘Diverse Communities’ open reading event, hosted by Leela Soma.
This will be an evening of poetry recitals and short story readings, from members of Scotland’s diverse ethnic communities. Reading one’s own work is a vital experience, as a means to gain feedback and cultivate a distinct voice. Listening to the stories from those of different backgrounds is a foundation stone for a dynamic society of enlightened individuals.
Leela Soma was born in Madras and now lives in Glasgow. She worked as a Principal Teacher of Modern Studies. Her poetry and short stories have been published in a number of anthologies and publications, including Gutter magazine. She won the Margaret Thomson Davis Trophy for Best New Writer in 2007, for her then unpublished novel Twice Born (which was later published by YouWriteOn in 2008). Her second novel, Bombay Baby, was published by Dahlia Publishing Limited in 2011. Boxed In, a short story collection, was published by The Pot Hole Press in 2013. She was shortlisted in the Pitch Perfect competition for Bloody Scotland, at the Crime Festival in 2013. Leela is a finalist of the Scottish Asian Woman Award 2014, for the category Professional of the Year 2014. She was commissioned by Glasgow Women’s Library to write a short story for their 21 Revolutions anthology, published March 2014. Leela has served on the committee for the Milngavie Books and Arts Festivals.
This is a free event, open to all.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Leela Soma writing and blogging
- Have Yourself a Literary Solstice, Poetry is the Way to Peace
- Paisley Book Festival 2020
- Switch Off – Centre for Confidence and Wellbeing
- The Great Hack Screening and Discussion CCA
- Glasgow Libraries Christmas Reading Challenge for Kids
- Mary Irvine’s blog: West Dunbartonshire Book Week November 2019
- Making Her Mark Launch Event
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Book Week Scotland 2019: Kerry Hudson
- The Big Talk, Men and Mental Health at The Ice Box
- Book launch: The Light Acknowledgers by Gerry Cambridge
- Telling Invents Told Lis Rhodes
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow
- The Siren Awakes Book Launch – Linda Jackson review by Pat Byrne
- Publishing Scotland: Book Week Scotland 2019