Diverse Communities with Leela Soma CCA Tue 4 August 2015
Scottish Writers’ Centre
Diverse Communities with Leela Soma
Tue 4 August 2015
7pm, Free and unticketed, Clubroom
The SWC is proud to present a ‘Diverse Communities’ open reading event, hosted by Leela Soma.
This will be an evening of poetry recitals and short story readings, from members of Scotland’s diverse ethnic communities. Reading one’s own work is a vital experience, as a means to gain feedback and cultivate a distinct voice. Listening to the stories from those of different backgrounds is a foundation stone for a dynamic society of enlightened individuals.
Leela Soma was born in Madras and now lives in Glasgow. She worked as a Principal Teacher of Modern Studies. Her poetry and short stories have been published in a number of anthologies and publications, including Gutter magazine. She won the Margaret Thomson Davis Trophy for Best New Writer in 2007, for her then unpublished novel Twice Born (which was later published by YouWriteOn in 2008). Her second novel, Bombay Baby, was published by Dahlia Publishing Limited in 2011. Boxed In, a short story collection, was published by The Pot Hole Press in 2013. She was shortlisted in the Pitch Perfect competition for Bloody Scotland, at the Crime Festival in 2013. Leela is a finalist of the Scottish Asian Woman Award 2014, for the category Professional of the Year 2014. She was commissioned by Glasgow Women’s Library to write a short story for their 21 Revolutions anthology, published March 2014. Leela has served on the committee for the Milngavie Books and Arts Festivals.
This is a free event, open to all.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Leela Soma writing and blogging
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Meet the Author, Angela Robb, Fruin Farm
- Joint Book Launch: Tracy Patrick and Fiona Lindsay
- Town Hall Meeting U.S.A. Leela Soma
- Vincent Price: Master of Menace, Lover of Life + The Abominable Dr Phibes GFT
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Margaret Atwood – Live in Cinemas
- Script to Stage Renfrewshire
- Memorial Evening for Janet Paisley CCA
- Bloody Scotland 2019
- Alexandria Writers Open Mic
- Theresa Talbot Creative Writing Workshop
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis Book Launch
- Creative Conversations Inaugural Event Autumn 2019
- The Big Meeting GFT
- The Muse at Avant Garde September 9th, 2019
- Place and Peace: three Scottish PEN writers at Scottish Writers Centre
- Postbox Launch of Issue 2
- Scottish Writers Showcase University of Glasgow 2019