Book Launch: Devil Take The Hindmost by Martin Froden, Mono, 7th July, 2016
Book Launch of Martin Froder’s prizewinning ‘Devil Take The Hindmost’
Mono, 12 Kings Court, Glasgow G1 5RB
7 July, 2016 7 p.m.
Winner of the Dundee International Book Prize
At £10,000, the Dundee International Book Prize is the richest prize for an unpubished novel in the UK.
This year’s winning title, Devil Take the Hindmost, is a gripping historical noir set during the amphetamine-fuelled craze for velodrome racing which took London by storm in the late 1920s.
Into this world stumbles Paul, a bewildered Scottish farmboy running away from home. Powerfully built with a fierce passion for cycling, he is taken under the wing of Silas, a local loan shark, and from there enters a world he is ill-equipped to survive.
As the races get harder, the bets get larger, and the terrifying Mr Morton starts to take an interest in Paul’s career. For fans of Peaky Blinders and Brighton Rock, Devil Take the Hindmost is a thrilling ride through a historical London that is rarely visited.
‘A Graham Greene-esque noir with suspense and peril. I loved the cut back and forth of the time line to create drama…” Denise Mina, author and judge, Dundee International Book Prize
‘Intriguing, thrilling and brilliantly realised. A fantastic debut.’ Danny Wallace, author, broadcaster and judge, Dundee International Book Prize
‘Perhaps the first cycling noir I’ve ever read, Martin Cathcart’s excellent debut, Devil Take the Hindmost, is filled with early twentieth century period detail and a slow-burn sense of menace that builds over the course of its twisting plot. But a good plot is nothing without character, and in the innocent abroad Paul and his new ‘friend’ Silas, we have one of the finest double acts I’ve read in a while. Devil Take the Hindmost is an assured first novel from an author who deserves to overtake the competition and race to take first place.’ Russel D McLean, author of the J McNee detective series
- Scottish Writers Creative Conversation Showcase
- Smokehead Sessions: Dave Arcari – full concert livestream
- Vegan Cookery Workshop
- Art in Nature: Make a Mandala
- Researching Scotland’s Mountain Women: National Library of Scotland
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Blues ‘n’ Twos with Dave Arcari
- Sonnet Youth Social Club #2
- Sleep Workshops Woodlands Community
- Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
- Duglus T Stewart – Dreaded Light Composer
- SEE YOU IN 10 YEARS WRITING COMPETITION for Teenagers
- Record Store Day – Love Music Glasgow
- “Monsters, Process and Mayhem” T.L. Huchu in conversation with Chikodili Emelumadu
- Alice – Watch Online GFT
- The Traitor Glasgow Film Theatre Online
- Govan’s Glories: Central Govan Walk Ian R. Mitchell
- Payback Claire MacLeary
- Her Century – National Library of Scotland
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show