Creative Conversations Playwright Douglas Maxwell
Monday 27 November
1 – 2 PM University Chapel
Free & Open to the Public
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Douglas Maxwell has been one of the most popular and produced playwrights in Scotland for over a decade.
His work in the last few years includes Promises Promises (which transferred to New York under the title The Promise in 2011, where it earned a Drama Desk Award Nomination for the actress Joanna Tope); a 10th Anniversary revival of the award winning Decky Does a Bronco; a version of Wedekind’s Spring Awakening for the Traverse; The Miracle Man for the NTS, and Small Town, written with DC Jackson and Johnny McKnight for Random Accomplice.
His short play, A Respectable Widow Takes To Vulgarity was read as part of The Traverse Theatre’s “Dream Play” series during the Edinburgh Fringe 2012. He has written two musicals: Watertight, with music by Richard Taylor, for the Royal Conservatoire Scotland and The Bookie, with music by Aly Macrae, for Cumbernauld Theatre.
His work for young people includes Too Fast (which was performed by 25 Youth theatres as part of the NT New Connections Festival 2011), Prom, Mancub, Helmet and The Mother Ship (which won the Brian Way Award for Best Play For Young People in 2009). A collection of his work for young people has just been published by Oberon Books.
His plays have been performed in translation in Germany, Norway, Hong Kong, New York, Chicago, Holland, Sweden, South Korea and Japan.
Books by featured authors will be for sale in John Smiths bookshop.
- Wakeful Screening at CCA
- The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson, West End Launch
- Celtic Connections 2020 Hannah Read and Andy Monaghan review by Fionnuala Boyle
- Opening and Closing Galas announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Celine and Julie Go Boating, GFT
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Finish Exposure Films from the Arctic
- Waves GFT
- Bombshell GFT
- Chinese Visual Festival 2020
- Coastal Connections Festival 2020 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- Preview: Parasite + Satellite Q&A with Bong Joon-ho-GFT
- Bohemia Bespoke Vintage Wedding Fair
- Cottiers Burns Supper and Ceilidh
- Burns Night (excellent)
- Burns Night Ceilidh, Stereo
- This is not a Burns Night – Dance of the Underclass
- Burns Baby Burns Dance of the Underclass Aftershow Party
- Cine(thesia) Coming Out, Kelvin Hall