Creative Conversations Playwright Douglas Maxwell
Monday 27 November
1 – 2 PM University Chapel
Free & Open to the Public
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Douglas Maxwell has been one of the most popular and produced playwrights in Scotland for over a decade.
His work in the last few years includes Promises Promises (which transferred to New York under the title The Promise in 2011, where it earned a Drama Desk Award Nomination for the actress Joanna Tope); a 10th Anniversary revival of the award winning Decky Does a Bronco; a version of Wedekind’s Spring Awakening for the Traverse; The Miracle Man for the NTS, and Small Town, written with DC Jackson and Johnny McKnight for Random Accomplice.
His short play, A Respectable Widow Takes To Vulgarity was read as part of The Traverse Theatre’s “Dream Play” series during the Edinburgh Fringe 2012. He has written two musicals: Watertight, with music by Richard Taylor, for the Royal Conservatoire Scotland and The Bookie, with music by Aly Macrae, for Cumbernauld Theatre.
His work for young people includes Too Fast (which was performed by 25 Youth theatres as part of the NT New Connections Festival 2011), Prom, Mancub, Helmet and The Mother Ship (which won the Brian Way Award for Best Play For Young People in 2009). A collection of his work for young people has just been published by Oberon Books.
His plays have been performed in translation in Germany, Norway, Hong Kong, New York, Chicago, Holland, Sweden, South Korea and Japan.
Books by featured authors will be for sale in John Smiths bookshop.
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Samhain: fire and jam session Halloween, North Kelvin Meadow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Let’s Go Green Family Day Kelvin Hall
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- Art Exhibition at The Arlington Baths Club
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Halloween at The Children’s Wood and Meadow 2019
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Halloween at OranMor
- Moogety Halloween 2019
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- A Gift to Glasgow from New York, The Hunterian
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Monos ay GFT
- The King, GFT
- Non-Fiction, GFT
- SQIFF 2019 Black History Month: Calalai: In Betweenness + shorts
- Chinese Visual Festival CCA