Creative Conversations: Nicholson Baker
Creative Conversations College of Arts – University of Glasgow
Thursday 17 September 2020 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Nicholson Baker ‘s novels are A Box of Matches, The Fermata, Room Temperature, The Mezzanine, House of Holes, Vox, The Anthologist and Travelling Sprinkler (both featuring ‘beloved hero and poet Paul Chowder’). His works of nonfiction include U & I , Human Smoke, The Size of Thoughts and Double Fold (about libraries and historic newspapers; Baker formed the American Newspaper Repository charity in 1999). His children’s book, The Everlasting Story of Nory, was described as ‘pitch perfect’ by the Wall Street Journal.
He has won the National Book Critics Circle Award, the Hermann Hesse Prize, and a Katherine Anne Porter Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
His most recent book is Baseless: My Search for Secrets in the Ruins of the Freedom of Information ACT
He lives in Maine with his wife, Margaret Brentano; both his children went to Maine public schools – where he worked after training as a substitute teacher for 2014’s Substitute.
This is a zoom event. You will be sent a link to join the meeting once you book on Eventbrite.
Creative Conversations is programmed by the University of Glasgow Creative Writing Programme and funded by the Ferguson Bequest. Professor Thomas Ferguson (1900-1977), Henry Mechan Chair of Public Health (1944-64), bequeathed his estate to the University, with the instruction that the money should be used to foster the social side of University life.
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite
- Multi-talented and Versatile – Laura Turnbull Fyfe
- This is not the time to be the bad angel by Jim Byrne
- Online Dance Club LGBTI Plus Elders – National Theatre of Scotland
- Opening Celebration Concert – Celtic Connections 2021 Online
- Announcement Full Programme Celtic Connections Online Festival 2021
- Mother India Cafe & Open for Takeaway and Uber Eats
- Balloch Open Mic – Vale Lad ‘Done Good’ – again
- Hogmanay Live Event – ‘One singer one song’
- Online End of Year Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Carlton Studios Crowdfunder Saturdays FB Livestream
- Balloch House Hotel Open Mic (in abeyance)
- Festive Concert with Dave Arcari
- Refuweegee Festive Benefit Gig
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Opening Film and Closing Gala Glasgow Film Festival 2021