Creative Conversations: Nicholson Baker
Creative Conversations College of Arts – University of Glasgow
Thursday 17 September 2020 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Nicholson Baker ‘s novels are A Box of Matches, The Fermata, Room Temperature, The Mezzanine, House of Holes, Vox, The Anthologist and Travelling Sprinkler (both featuring ‘beloved hero and poet Paul Chowder’). His works of nonfiction include U & I , Human Smoke, The Size of Thoughts and Double Fold (about libraries and historic newspapers; Baker formed the American Newspaper Repository charity in 1999). His children’s book, The Everlasting Story of Nory, was described as ‘pitch perfect’ by the Wall Street Journal.
He has won the National Book Critics Circle Award, the Hermann Hesse Prize, and a Katherine Anne Porter Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
His most recent book is Baseless: My Search for Secrets in the Ruins of the Freedom of Information ACT
He lives in Maine with his wife, Margaret Brentano; both his children went to Maine public schools – where he worked after training as a substitute teacher for 2014’s Substitute.
This is a zoom event. You will be sent a link to join the meeting once you book on Eventbrite.
Creative Conversations is programmed by the University of Glasgow Creative Writing Programme and funded by the Ferguson Bequest. Professor Thomas Ferguson (1900-1977), Henry Mechan Chair of Public Health (1944-64), bequeathed his estate to the University, with the instruction that the money should be used to foster the social side of University life.
- Lapidus Creative Writing with Lesley O’Brien
- Aye Write: Jenni Fagan with Claire Mitchell QC and Zoe Venditozzi Witches of Scotland Podcast
- Book Launch: The Pharmacist by Rachelle Atalla
- Modren Makars Launch Event
- Aye Write: Karen Campbell and Nataliya Deleva
- Book Launch: This Script by Jenny Lindsay
- Creative Conversations: Michael Pederson
- Aye Write: The Kavya Prize
- Aye Write: Graeme Thomson with John Dingwall
- Aye Write: Beyond the Swelkie
- CARLA Book Launch at tell it slant
- Glasgow Literary Lounge at the Scotia Bar
- All Becomes Art – Poems to Joan Eardley
- Aye Write 2022: Scotland’s future. Gerry Hassan, Joyce McMillan & Prof Tanja Bueltmann chaired by Simon Barrow
- Colonial Seeds / Seedy Social / Community Meal
- SCCAN Communicating Climate Change: Working with Arts & Culture 3-5.30pm 12th May
- Aye Write: MORE FIYA: A Celebration of Black British Poetry with Kayo Chingonyi, Janette Ayachi and Dean Atta
- Aye Write 2022: Introducing Debut Authors
- Aye Write: Douglas Bruton introduces…Kenny Boyle, Claire Alexander, Adrian Keefe and Charlie Roy
- Aye Write: Karen Campbell Introduces… Kirsty Capes, Louise Nealon and Emily Edwards