Creative Conversations: Nicholson Baker
Creative Conversations College of Arts – University of Glasgow
Thursday 17 September 2020 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Nicholson Baker ‘s novels are A Box of Matches, The Fermata, Room Temperature, The Mezzanine, House of Holes, Vox, The Anthologist and Travelling Sprinkler (both featuring ‘beloved hero and poet Paul Chowder’). His works of nonfiction include U & I , Human Smoke, The Size of Thoughts and Double Fold (about libraries and historic newspapers; Baker formed the American Newspaper Repository charity in 1999). His children’s book, The Everlasting Story of Nory, was described as ‘pitch perfect’ by the Wall Street Journal.
He has won the National Book Critics Circle Award, the Hermann Hesse Prize, and a Katherine Anne Porter Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
His most recent book is Baseless: My Search for Secrets in the Ruins of the Freedom of Information ACT
He lives in Maine with his wife, Margaret Brentano; both his children went to Maine public schools – where he worked after training as a substitute teacher for 2014’s Substitute.
This is a zoom event. You will be sent a link to join the meeting once you book on Eventbrite.
Creative Conversations is programmed by the University of Glasgow Creative Writing Programme and funded by the Ferguson Bequest. Professor Thomas Ferguson (1900-1977), Henry Mechan Chair of Public Health (1944-64), bequeathed his estate to the University, with the instruction that the money should be used to foster the social side of University life.
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Networking Climate Cafe – SCCAN
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle
- Magi Gibson – Audacious Women Festival
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Local Food at COP26 – Open Meeting
- Walking and Writing in the Botanics with Gerry Loose
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green
- It’s Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Women’s Work, Nature and the Colonies – Climate Change Screenings
- Balloch Open Mic returns to Balloch House Hotel
- Poets’ Time, Book Launch
- Eye of the Storm film by Anthony Baxter
- Book Festival – Govanhill International Festival 2021
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021