Creative Conversations, Alasdair Gray, University of Glasgow, 2 October, 2017
Novelist Alasdair Gray
University Chapel, West Quadrangle, Main Building Gilmorehill Campus, University of Glasgow, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Monday 2 October, 2017
1 – 2 PM University Chapel
Free & Open to the Public
Alasdair Gray is a Scottish writer and artist. His most acclaimed work is his novel, Lanark, published in 1981. It is now regarded as a classic, and was described by The Guardian as “one of the landmarks of 20th-century fiction.”
His collections of short stories include Unlikely Stories, Mostly (1983), winner of the 1983 Cheltenham Prize, and Ten Tales Tall and True (1993), and he is the editor of The Book of Prefaces (2000).
He has also written for stage, radio and television, and between 1965 and 1976 had 17 TV and radio plays broadcast, as well as five further plays produced for the theatre, including Working Legs: A Play for Those Without Them (1997) and Fleck (2008).
In 1977 he was Glasgow’s official Artist-Recorder for the People’s Palace local history museum. Old Men in Love (2007), was shortlisted for the 2008 Catherine Maclean Prize. His Autobiography, Of Me & Others, was published in 2014.
Find more information about him on his website: www.alasdairgray.info
Books by featured authors will be for sale in John Smiths bookshop.
Alasdair’s first art exhibition took place in London’s Coningsby Gallery, July/August 2017 A Life In Pictures, 1951 – 2017.
Glasgow West End Local Character, Alastair Gray, artist and novelist – review by Pat Byrne (2002)
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Samhain: fire and jam session Halloween, North Kelvin Meadow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Let’s Go Green Family Day Kelvin Hall
- Express Yourself Halloween Party 2019 Project Cafe
- Mary Miller, Author, on Jane Haining – a life of love and courage
- Art Exhibition at The Arlington Baths Club
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Halloween at The Children’s Wood and Meadow 2019
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Halloween at OranMor
- Moogety Halloween 2019
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- A Gift to Glasgow from New York, The Hunterian
- An Evening with Mary Irvine – ‘My Greek Love Affair’
- Monos ay GFT
- The King, GFT
- Non-Fiction, GFT
- SQIFF 2019 Black History Month: Calalai: In Betweenness + shorts
- Chinese Visual Festival CCA