Cowboy Calypso, WomanSaid and Stephen EvEns
The Rum Shack, 657 – 659 Pollokshaws Road, G41 2AG
Friday, 1 March, 2019, 7 – 10 p.m.
Cowboy Calypso is a collaboration between Brooklyn, Glasgow and London musicians. They’ve all been in bands you (probably) love, and one day they all said: “Let’s get stupid and make a record in a week and then celebrate with all of our friends!” So they did just that at Green Door Studios in Glasgow. And what they got is catchy songs, surrealist strains against sing-along chants, folk-music-nonsense, funky synths and pedal steel. You be the judge. Come one, come all!
WomanSaid are self-described as ‘seedy electronica’, consisting of 2 basses, electronic drums, synths and dark vocals. Inspired by the avant-garde that influenced the electronic music scene of the late ’70’s and early ’80’s. https://optimomusic.bandcamp.com/album/majick
Stephen EvEns has spent most of his days touring here and there with minor indie celebrity. He has for now shunned the tour bus lifestyle for a wander through his own songbook for a change. The tunes are beautiful, the words are ugly. I don’t know why you don’t think that’s a good thing?
Friday, March 1, 7pm-10pm *please note EARLY SHOW*
£3 at the door, or free if you can recite all of Strother Martin’s films in reverse order.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Sounds in the Suburbs presents Leventime: A Celebration of Jackie Leven
- Glasgow Hospitals Christmas Concert 2019 Royal Concert Hall
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Cottiers has Talent this Christmas
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- SongWriters Uncovered Series 2019
- Fairytale of Glasgow
- Birds of Chicago The Doublet Glasgow
- Scottish Writers’ Centre From bytes to bestseller with Jonathan Whitelaw
- Guttersnipe at the Old Hairdressers
- One Night at The Disco, Riverside Museum
- The Long Ryders at OranMor
- Maria Doyle Kennedy, Cottiers
- Hang Massive at OranMor, Glasgow
- Thank Funk It’s Friday, South
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Nick Harper with Carol Laula and Port Erin CCA
- West Princes plus King Wine at the Hug and Pint, Glasgow