Cowboy Calypso, WomanSaid and Stephen EvEns
The Rum Shack, 657 – 659 Pollokshaws Road, G41 2AG
Friday, 1 March, 2019, 7 – 10 p.m.
Cowboy Calypso is a collaboration between Brooklyn, Glasgow and London musicians. They’ve all been in bands you (probably) love, and one day they all said: “Let’s get stupid and make a record in a week and then celebrate with all of our friends!” So they did just that at Green Door Studios in Glasgow. And what they got is catchy songs, surrealist strains against sing-along chants, folk-music-nonsense, funky synths and pedal steel. You be the judge. Come one, come all!
WomanSaid are self-described as ‘seedy electronica’, consisting of 2 basses, electronic drums, synths and dark vocals. Inspired by the avant-garde that influenced the electronic music scene of the late ’70’s and early ’80’s. https://optimomusic.bandcamp.com/album/majick
Stephen EvEns has spent most of his days touring here and there with minor indie celebrity. He has for now shunned the tour bus lifestyle for a wander through his own songbook for a change. The tunes are beautiful, the words are ugly. I don’t know why you don’t think that’s a good thing?
Friday, March 1, 7pm-10pm *please note EARLY SHOW*
£3 at the door, or free if you can recite all of Strother Martin’s films in reverse order.
This section: Gig Guide plus Club Events
Filed under: Gig Guide plus Club Events
- Soul Bowl, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Glasgow Literary Lounge at the Scotia Bar
- We Belong To Glasgow – a night for Refuweegee
- Seventeen Years of Southside Sessions
- TRNSMT Festival, Pre-party
- The Homebird Sessions at Cottiers
- Restricted Code, The Glad Cafe
- Dirty Laundry, McChuills
- Make Music Day 2022
- Ando Glaso – Roma Cultural Festival
- Rod Picott at The Glad Cafe
- The Primevals / Reverse Cowgirls – Ukraine Appeal
- Homeless Project Scotland Fundraiser
- Mansfield Park Street Festival
- Outi and Nico at Tchai Ovna
- Performers at Glasgow Jazz Festival 2022