In Conversation with Cecilia Stenbom, CCA, Glasgow
Monday 5 February 2018
7pm, Free but ticketed, Cinema
Book online / 0141 352 4900
Since graduating from the MFA programme at Glasgow School of Art, Cecilia’s work has focused on media-saturated, consumer-driven everyday environments and how they affect human response, notions of identity, behaviour and interaction.
This event debuts Rules of Engagement, a new film by Cecilia three stories seemingly entirely unconnected to one another.
Jack, the black sheep, is attending a family gathering; Robin is trying to integrate into a new social group and Nadia is failing to blend in with her conservative work colleagues.
What connects each of these people and their stories is the human desire to ‘belong’, to be a part of something, to both blend in and be seen. Without a single moment of dialogue the film is based on recorded accounts of “outsider-dom”, this film not only tells the stories of Jack, Robin and Nadia but is the director’s comment on how every day norms and social etiquette define ‘who belongs and who doesn’t’, who is ‘one of us’ and who is ‘the other’, whether someone ‘fits’ or not.
Rules of Engagement is a mix between dramatic re-enactment and chamber play of encounter and emotion, written and directed by Cecilia Stenbom.
As part of this event, two shorts by Cecilia will be screened alongside a Q &A and discussion.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Sundance Film Festival Tour London 2021
- GFT: As Tears Go By
- GFT: Nowhere Special
- GFT: The Surrogate
- GFT: Sisters with Transistors
- GFT: Girlfriends
- GFT: Riders of Justice
- GFT: Night of the Kings
- Arlington @150 – Arlington Baths Club Celebrating 150 Years
- Knightswood Living Rent Summer Social
- Glasgow – Open Air Bed Cinema Online
- Piping Live! – Glasgow, August, 2021
- Fun Day – Doon the Watter at Glasgow Green
- Shoot Your Shot PRIDE
- West End in the West End at Websters
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Websters Youth Theatre Summer School