CinemaAttic: Back to Cuba, CCA Fri 16 December 2016
Fri 16 December 2016
7.30pm, £5 (£4 students) + £1 booking fee, Cinema
Book online / 0141 352 4900
It’s a rare December in Havana without Castro. Fidel Castro himself, together with Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Pirri and Julio, was one of the founding fathers of one of the most iconic film schools in the world: EICTV, inaugurated thirty years ago.
In honour of the 30th anniversary of the Cuban film school Escuela Internacional de Cine y Televisión (EICTV) in San Antonio de Los Baños, CinemaAttic presents a focus on Cuban short film.
Fury and controversy followed the death of the Cuban leader. Castro’s government, for the good and for the bad, placed Cuba on the map as an extraordinary country. With the world’s media shifting to new topics this seems just like a good moment to dig deeper into Cuba through its cinema. Cuba is in itself a great subject for a cinematographic focus. The wealth of social variety, the influence of their recent story, its resistance to influence from most of the outside world. And the preciousness and beauty with which some of the EICTV students have portrayed the magic messy Cuba help to contribute further to this island’s unique society.
CinemaAttic offer a powerful curated selection of short films, all with English subtitles, as well as networking breaks for the enjoyment of both the Ibero-American community and cinema lovers alike.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- ‘There’s a Problem with Dad’ by Carlos Alba
- The Girl, The Crow, The Writer And The Fighter – Debut Novel by George Paterson
- Govanhill International Festival 2021
- Sundance Film Festival Tour London 2021
- GFT: As Tears Go By
- GFT: Nowhere Special
- GFT: The Surrogate
- GFT: Sisters with Transistors
- GFT: Girlfriends
- GFT: Riders of Justice
- GFT: Night of the Kings
- Arlington @150 – Arlington Baths Club Celebrating 150 Years
- Knightswood Living Rent Summer Social
- Glasgow – Open Air Bed Cinema Online
- Piping Live! – Glasgow, August, 2021
- Fun Day – Doon the Watter at Glasgow Green
- Shoot Your Shot PRIDE
- West End in the West End at Websters
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Websters Youth Theatre Summer School