Celtic Connections: Strathspey and Surreal, 23 January, 2016. Glasgow Royal Concert Hall 1 p.m.
23 January 2016 1:00PM
For fans of the fiddle!
Strathspey and Surreal
Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
Buy tickets online
Or buy tickets from at the box office on 0141 353 8000
Prior to recent decades’ quantum expansion in traditional music education, Scotland’s strathspey and reel societies were often the only avenue available for young musicians to practise their craft. One such was Lau fiddler Aidan O’Rourke, who still considers his membership of the Oban society an invaluable apprenticeship.
Now, any idea arising jointly from O’Rourke and folk/jazz fusioneer Simon Thoumire promises exciting results, and so it is with this afternoon’s four world premières, of compositions by both artists, and by fiddler Shona Mooney and pianist Jennifer Austin, for a 21-strong fiddle band. O’Rourke and Thoumire’s aim is simultaneously to honour the SRS tradition, and hopefully contribute to future repertoire.
The other featured fiddlers are Adam Sutherland, Innes Watson, Ross Couper, Jenna Reid, Rua Macmillan, Patsy Reid, Lori Watson, Kristan Harvey, Megan Henderson, Chris Stout, Jack Smedley, Mhairi Mackinnon and Laura Wilkie, plus top fiddle students Ryan Young, Sally Simpson, Robbie MacKenzie, Bernadette Kellermann, Madeleine Stewart and Graham Rorie.
Please note: This concert takes place in the Main Auditorium of Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, 2 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3NY
Under 14s should be accompanied by an adult
This venue has seating only.
This venue has wheelchair access and disabled toilet facilities.
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2022
- The Springbank Voyage – Barry Nisbet Album Launch
- 50 Pots – Scottish Pottery Exhibition
- Our Stories, Your Stories – Celebrating Memoirs
- WestFest – The Big Weekend
- Soul Bowl, Partickhill Bowling and Community Club
- WOCO Woodlands’ Own Community Festival
- The Making of Alasdair Gray’s Lanark
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- The Paul McKenna Band – Websters Theatre
- The Mould That Changed The World – Websters Theatre
- Access Film Club: Hot Fuzz
- Blind Ambition at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Eric Ravilious: Drawn To War at GFT
- Notre Dame On Fire at GFT
- Nightclubbing: The Birth of Punk Rock in New York City