Celtic Connections Announces Winners of Danny Kyle Open Stage 2014
Every year at Celtic Connections the cream of new musical talent perform at Danny Kyle’s Open Stage. A diverse panel of judges – from industry stalwarts to members of the general public – then have the unenviable task of picking just six winners from the fifty five acts who took part.
The winners of this year’s Open Stage, which is supported by the Evening Times, performed in the finale concert this evening (Saturday 1st February) at Adelaides on Bath Street, before being presented with their awards.
The level of talent on show at all concerts, which were also held at Adelaides, was extremely high. The six winners of the Danny Kyle Open Stage 2014 are:
Hò Rò are a young and energetic Scottish trad/folk trio from Inverness who bring traditional Scottish music and Gaelic/folk songs together and put their modern stamp on it.
Hò Rò are: Calum MacPhail, Lucy Dooogan, Crisdean MacDonald and Sean Cousins.
Griogair Morrison is just 16 years old and comes from Orkney.
He is a young finger-style and percussive guitarist arranging, writing and composing his own tunes from funk, blues, jazz and rock and was a winner at the Orkney Folk Festival Open Stage 2013. He has been busy developing his YouTube profile and gigging locally.
He says his main influences are Andy McKee and Don Ross.
Griogair will also be performing at his own local Orkney Folk Festival in May 2014.
The Mischa Macpherson Trio
The Mischa Macpherson trio is from Glasgow but the members originally come from the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
Mischa, Conal and Innes grew up surrounded by music and the Gaelic tradition. They all studied at the National Centre of Excellence in Traditional Music in Plockton, Wester Ross and came together in 2011 at the Feis Rois International Ceilidh Trail.
Mischa is currently a student in Sibelius Academy in Helsinki.
The trio is Mischa Macpherson, Conal McDonagh and Innes White.
The Chaplins are from Paisley and were formed in 2012. The band members are all accomplished musicians in their own right. When they come together they have a distinctive quirky alternative and unique bluegrass sound, culminating with Jill’s songwriting, have meant that their debut EP released in 2013 was met with critical acclaim.
The Chaplins are Jill Jackson, John Allan, Lisa Tring and Johnny McKinnon.
Arthur Nicholson has been heavily involved in the Shetland music scene from an early age. He released his first single in March 2013 and has just completed his own CD.
Arthur also plays in a number of bands including First Foot Soldiers, Muddy Bray, Deep Sea Rollers, Spoot Hawk and North Country Fair – to name but a few.
Austen is a gifted young singer songwriter who has played in several bands including his own The Alvas.
Honing his craft over the years as well as seeking a solo career, Austen has gigged extensively throughout Edinburgh and is currently seeking a record deal.
Austen is also a qualified stained glass artist and so fittingly his songwriting has been described as the following “like stained glass, his songs seem to have an ethereal quality, lyrically vivid and colourful.”
This section: Celtic Connections 2014
Filed under: Celtic Connections 2014
- Mogwai: Concert Hall Celtic Connections 2014
- Celtic Connections 2014: Imelda May, Old Fruitmarket. Review P. Keightley
- Celtic Connections Announces Winners of Danny Kyle Open Stage 2014
- Celtic Connections 2014: Roaming Roots Revue – review by P. Keightley
- Celtic Connections: Ullapool Guitar Festival, 30th January, 2014
- A Northerly Land with Face The West, OranMor, Saturday 25th January, 2014
- Nelson Mandela and Seamus Heaney to be celebrated at Celtic Connections International Burns Night, Saturday 25th January
- Opening Concert Celtic Connections 2014, by Pauline Keightley
- BBC Radio Scotland CCA, Celtic Connections, 21st January
- BBC Radio Scotland Live at CCA, Celtic Connections 20th January
- Raghu Dixit Project and Shellie Morris, OranMor, 24th January
- Celtic Connections 2014 Starts Today
- Concert for Alliance Scotland – Various Artists
- Celtic Connections Kicks Off