Celebrating women artists at Nancy Smillie
On International Woman’s Day Nancy Smillie showcases some of the inspiring women artists that make the shop so special. This fabulous shop in Glasgow’s West End sells products made by local woman designers and artists plus by women from around the world.
Nancy studied at Glasgow School of Art specialising in Ceramics. She worked from her own studio at Saltoun Pottery for several years before opening her first shop thirty years ago in Glasgow’s Princes Square, selling unique hand thrown ceramics, beautiful jewellery, art and hand-blown glass. As the business grew, Nancy diversified into furniture, lighting and home accessories. She also expanded the jewellery department to stock exciting women designers.
When she is not busy writing her lovely poetry, or working at the Nancy Smillie Shop, Basia is very involved with the Polish Social and Educational Society. She can be found reading her poetry at their very lively and enjoyable ‘Evenings of Word and Music’. You can also Find some of Basia’s Poetry in a book called “Woman: remapping the territory our way” More about Basia Palka and her poetry on Pat’s Local West End Characters
Ev Hogarth started as a teacher for 5 years then branched out as a baker and cake designer. She owned Top Tier Designer Cakes in Hyndland for 24 years before selling the business and retiring (and also acquiring 5 grand children)
She has painted on and off for many years mostly in water colors but has flourished recently, painting in acrylic.
Lindsay started making jewellery over 12 years ago after taking night classes. She currently enjoys making jewellery in her studio in Glasgow. She creates stunning pieces all hand made with materials such as Silver, Brass, Gold, Semi precious stones and she has also brought out a lovely new enamel range! I love Lindsay’s enamel jewellery. Lindsay’ s enamel jewellery.
Dganit Hen has designed and made jewellery for 25 years. She spent her childhood and adolescence surrounded by scenic views of the Upper Galilee, Israel. These landscapes accompanied her during her throughout her life contributing to her love for art and creativity. and is reflected in her work.
Ayala Bar makes stunning and unusual jewellery using materials such as Beads, Fabric, Metal, Semi Precious stones and glass.
“I am happy to think that I can bring joy to others through what I make. It is my hope to continue to evoke curiosity and intrigue through my artistic productivity . For me, this is the true essence of what Ayala Bar stands for.” – Ayala Bar
Genna has worked at Nancy Smillie for over 10 years. Her pieces combine sterling silver with 18ct gold and semi precious stones.
Genna has two young children but still manages to run her own very successful business.
This section: International Womens Day, Mother's Day Gifts, Shopping
- Hand Made Guitars – Glasgow
- Christmas Exhibition 2020 – Compass Gallery
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Arts and Crafts Market Online
- From the Studio of Alasdair Gray – Sale Great Western Auctions
- Jasmine Boutique Hyndland Sale
- Jasmine – Reopening After Lockdown
- Great Styles from Around the Globe at Jasmine Boutique – Gallery
- Porcelain by Nancy Smillie
- Kothel Crow Road – boxes of daily selected fruit and veg
- Cake At Number 8: Cupcakes Against Covid
- Houlihan Pharmacy launches Automated Prescription Collection Service.
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- The Store Interiors, Anniesland, Glasgow
- Literary Legends Book Stall – International Women’s Week
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 Women Make Film
- International Women’s Day Glasgow 2020 – Bike for Good
- International Women’s Day 2020 Gathering and March Glasgow
- Govanhill International Women’s Day 2020
- International Women’s Day – #EachforEqual: What Difference Does a Decade Make?