Call Mr Robeson, Queens Park Glasgow
Friday 3 May, 2019 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Queens Park, Glasgow G42 9QL
Call Mr Robeson! celebrates the life and trials of Mr Paul Robeson, who, in 1960 led the Glasgow May Day parade and performed for thousands at Queen’s Park Arena Glasgow.
With a special introduction by Lost Glasgow‘s Norry Wilson and local musicians, this event looks at Glasgow’s history of social justice activism as context for Tayo Aluko’s award-winning one man performance documenting the life of Paul Robeson.
***NB: THIS IS AN OUTDOOR PERFORMANCE, TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE IN THE EVENT OF INCLEMENT WEATHER***
Paul Robeson was a great and famous actor, singer and civil rights campaigner.
When over the years he was becoming progressively too radical and outspoken for the establishment’s liking, he was branded a traitor to his country, harassed, and denied opportunities to perform or travel.
Just as physical, emotional and mental stress threaten to push him over the fine line between genius and madness, he is summoned to appear before the House Un-American Activities Committee, to give the most difficult and important performance of his career.
This roller-coaster journey through Robeson’s remarkable and eventful life highlights how his pioneering and heroic (but largely forgotten) political activism led many to describe him as the forerunner of the civil rights movement.
It features much fiery oratory and some of his famous songs, including a dramatic rendition of Ol’ Man River.
General Admission – £11.50
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- Reimagining Our Economy – Screening Woodlands Community
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2020
- Science on the Sofa – Activities for Kids
- From Glasgow To Saturn Fall Launch
- Deep Dive Workshops Stay at Home Literary Festival
- Game On: Queer Disruptions in Sport screening plus Q&A
- International Day of the Girl Child
- There’s Something in the Water, Femspectives and Take One Action
- Blue Heart – Take One Action Film Festival
- Africa in Motion 2020
- Glasgow Science Festival 2020
- SQIFF Programme 2020
- Black Cowgirls and Cowboys, Real and Imagined
- Fly your flag in Woodlands!
- Jambo – Black History Month Radio Sessions Scotland
- Window Wanderland – Windows of Wonder Glasgow
- Truck Art at The Mela
- Tony Singh: Glasgow Mela Food Cooking Demo
- World of International Film Festival 2020
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2020