Call Mr Robeson, Queens Park Glasgow
Friday 3 May, 2019 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Queens Park, Glasgow G42 9QL
Call Mr Robeson! celebrates the life and trials of Mr Paul Robeson, who, in 1960 led the Glasgow May Day parade and performed for thousands at Queen’s Park Arena Glasgow.
With a special introduction by Lost Glasgow‘s Norry Wilson and local musicians, this event looks at Glasgow’s history of social justice activism as context for Tayo Aluko’s award-winning one man performance documenting the life of Paul Robeson.
***NB: THIS IS AN OUTDOOR PERFORMANCE, TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE IN THE EVENT OF INCLEMENT WEATHER***
Paul Robeson was a great and famous actor, singer and civil rights campaigner.
When over the years he was becoming progressively too radical and outspoken for the establishment’s liking, he was branded a traitor to his country, harassed, and denied opportunities to perform or travel.
Just as physical, emotional and mental stress threaten to push him over the fine line between genius and madness, he is summoned to appear before the House Un-American Activities Committee, to give the most difficult and important performance of his career.
This roller-coaster journey through Robeson’s remarkable and eventful life highlights how his pioneering and heroic (but largely forgotten) political activism led many to describe him as the forerunner of the civil rights movement.
It features much fiery oratory and some of his famous songs, including a dramatic rendition of Ol’ Man River.
General Admission – £11.50
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- Celebrating Diversity Festival
- SHA Virtual Kiltwalk Weekend 2020
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Starchild Sunflower Sanctuary – Autism
- Sound & Vision Drive-In Summer 2020
- Bloody Scotland 2020 – Debut Shortlist and McIlvanney Prize Longlist
- Food Truck and Craft Beer Festival Rouken Glen
- World Refugee Day Saturday 20 June, 2020
- French Film Festival UK November – December 2020
- Stuck in the Suburbs – Refuweegee
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online
- The Atom: A Love Affair GFT watch online
- BAKOSÓ: AFROBEATS DE CUBA FILM – Africa in Motion
- Live from a Tenement – Chiara Berardelli
- Nice n Sleazy Big Weekend of Streaming Live
- The Specialized Big Isofest
- Beatson puts fun into fundraising – online quizz
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Glasgow Diet – Documentary on History of Food fundraiser
- Glasgow Short Film Festival 2020: My First Film