Call Mr Robeson, Queens Park Glasgow
Friday 3 May, 2019 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Queens Park, Glasgow G42 9QL
Call Mr Robeson! celebrates the life and trials of Mr Paul Robeson, who, in 1960 led the Glasgow May Day parade and performed for thousands at Queen’s Park Arena Glasgow.
With a special introduction by Lost Glasgow‘s Norry Wilson and local musicians, this event looks at Glasgow’s history of social justice activism as context for Tayo Aluko’s award-winning one man performance documenting the life of Paul Robeson.
***NB: THIS IS AN OUTDOOR PERFORMANCE, TICKETS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE IN THE EVENT OF INCLEMENT WEATHER***
Paul Robeson was a great and famous actor, singer and civil rights campaigner.
When over the years he was becoming progressively too radical and outspoken for the establishment’s liking, he was branded a traitor to his country, harassed, and denied opportunities to perform or travel.
Just as physical, emotional and mental stress threaten to push him over the fine line between genius and madness, he is summoned to appear before the House Un-American Activities Committee, to give the most difficult and important performance of his career.
This roller-coaster journey through Robeson’s remarkable and eventful life highlights how his pioneering and heroic (but largely forgotten) political activism led many to describe him as the forerunner of the civil rights movement.
It features much fiery oratory and some of his famous songs, including a dramatic rendition of Ol’ Man River.
General Admission – £11.50
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- Nice n Sleazy Big Weekend of Streaming Live
- The Specialized Big Isofest
- Beatson puts fun into fundraising – online quizz
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Glasgow Diet – Documentary on History of Food fundraiser
- Glasgow Short Film Festival 2020: My First Film
- Glasgow Window Art Festival – High Street and Saltmarket
- Books at the Botanics
- Govanhill International Women’s Day 2020
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 Our Ladies
- Glasgow Film Festival: Romantic Comedy + Live Score by Summer Camp
- Befriending Food Experience, Games and Grub
- Stars for Starchild – In Memory of Rony Bridges
- Days of the Bagnold Summer Glasgow Film Festival
- Bacurau, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Parasite (black and white version announced)
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Rocks
- Looking at Mackintosh’s Masterpiece
- Country Strand at Glasgow Fllm Festival 2020 – Iceland Northern Shining Lights
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 at CCA