Book Week Scotland: Arlington Baths Recommends
Book Week Scotland: 16-22 November 2020
In November Arlington Baths Club is usually gearing up to participate in Book Week Scotland.
Sadly that’s not possible this year because of Coronavirus – however they have highlighted some online events they think will be of interest.
Their regular Book Week Scotland collaborators Ringwood Publishing have several free events coming up.
Wednesday 4 November sees the launch of Murder at the Mela by Leela Soma, in which Glasgow’s first Asian DI Alok Patel investigates the brutal murder of an Asian woman at Glasgow’s Mela Festival while struggling to balance the pressures of his rank, relationships, and racism.
On Wednesday 11 November celebrate the launch of John Keeman’s memoir In the Shadow of the Crane, a powerful story of growing up beneath the shadow of the Finnieston Crane. It explores the trials and tribulations of a true Glaswegian and is a powerful argument in defence of collective support for the poorest and most vulnerable members of society.
Join the debate on the Future of the Scottish Police Service with three writers on crime and policing on Monday 16 November. The panellists will include a former Deputy Chief Constable in Lothian, a police officer who served in Argyll, Rothesay and the Serious Crime Squad, and the author of a fictional exploration of a infamous Perth murder and its contemporary resonances
A few of the writers who have come to the Baths in past years are also appearing at this year’s Book Week Scotland online including Fiona Gibson who will be chatting about the magazine world past and future.
Louise Welsh who will reflect on her popular debut novel, The Cutting Room, first published in 2002.
And finally, congratulations to Baths member Iain Macneill who has just self-published his first book, entitled Tidal Power, set on the fictional Scottish island of Flooney during a fateful summer of unexpected change.
See more details on the Arlington Baths Club website
- Arlington @150 – Arlington Baths Club Celebrating 150 Years
- Piping Live! – Glasgow, August, 2021
- Fun Day – Doon the Watter at Glasgow Green
- Shoot Your Shot PRIDE
- Scribblers Union Digital Gig Series
- Merchant City Festival 2021
- Bloody Scotland – Crime Debut of the Year 2021
- Brian Whittingham – Writing Walks in Kelvingrove
- Three Lockdown Poets at Avant Garde
- Independent Bookshop Week 2021
- Tell it slant, Glasgow: Book Launch: A Bird Is Not A Stone.
- Red Squirrel Press – Launch of Three Publications
- #StreamMyStory Children’s Online Events Summer 2021
- Women’s Library – In Conversation with Paria Goodarzi
- Bloody Scotland 2021 McIlvanney Prize Long List Announced
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- The Owner of the Sea – Richard Price readings and discussion
- Bernard MacLaverty: Glasgow Writer
- Graeme Macrae Burnet – Glasgow Writer
- Glasgow Writers: Theresa Talbot