Book Launch: New Shoots Old Roots (2)
6pm Thursday 30th July, 2020
New Shoots Old Roots Vol. II Book Launch
Street Level Photoworks, in collaboration with the African and Caribbean Women’s Association (ACWA), are delighted to launch the second volume of New Shoots Old Roots – a publication that captures African and Caribbean women’s experiences of coming to and living in Scotland from the 1950’s to the present day. The publication builds on the previous contributions to include 20 women’s experiences.
This project is a creative collaboration reflecting on a significant part of Scotland’s history, the publication combines interview extracts with archive and contemporary photographs from the contributors over 150 pages.
The live-streamed event will begin with introductions from Dr. Ima Jackson, Patricia Iredia, Chair of ACWA, Jamilah Mahmud, Secretary of ACWA and Harriette Campbell, ACWA founding member. The women will discuss the process of creating the publication; it’s importance to Scottish history and hear from these Grandmothers of activism about their life long dedication to supporting black women in Scotland.
The discussion will be followed by a screening of the original audio/video work produced in 2015 for Luminate: Scotland’s Creative Ageing Festival.
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- The Paul McKenna Band – Websters Theatre
- The Mould That Changed The World – Websters Theatre
- Access Film Club: Hot Fuzz
- Blind Ambition at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Eric Ravilious: Drawn To War at GFT
- Notre Dame On Fire at GFT
- Nightclubbing: The Birth of Punk Rock in New York City
- The Harder They Come – 50th Annivesary
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Govanhill’s Got Talent
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Beyond the Rainbow (100th Birthday Celebration for Judy Garland)
- CINE(STHESIA )- Last Day of the Trams