Bob Law’s Blog: Lockdown – Nature in Glasgow
Even during lockdown nature can lift your spirits, especially in Spring during a long run of perfect days. Walks or cycle rides from my house in the West End of Glasgow have revealed a wonderland going about its own business, unconcerned by any human malady.
New buds spring into life, mint fresh green leaves unfurl in a range of different hues and pond life roars back into action again after a dormant winter break.
The golden avenue of daffodils along Great Western Road never fails to lift the spirits. Skyward, even opportunist gulls can be seen soaring in a blue cloudless sky – bringing confirmation of a heaven above. The only heaven I normally require anyway.
The peace and tranquility of quiet roads, even main ones, free of traffic, often turn mid afternoon into an early morning vibe with just a few folk, venturing out during the early days of the lockdown, visible in the distance. Sometimes a friendly subdued wave, a smile, or other acknowledgement, like distant ships passing in a wide ocean, just to remind each other of our shared humanity.
An hour long cycle ride to Clydebank or Dumbarton and back, along the canal, feels like a fresh new world unfolding, with birdsong in abundance and a still clarity in the air.
Wild animals, encouraged by the new silence in urban areas venturing back into city woods and parks like never before, including deer spotted quietly feeding in the middle of Drumchapel.
Ducks enjoy a less manicured, park pond free of the usual monthly maintenance efforts.
Although it will be good for society to go back to near normal I will miss this period of quiet reflection in an increasingly busy world.
Bob Law, Springtime, 2020
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer, Coronavirus, Pat's Home Page Blog
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Roy’s West End View: Battered Boris savaged by top Scots true blues
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Wullie Davidson’s Blog: Extreme Global Weather Events of 2021
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow
- Mika & Me Eyewear Glasgow
- G20 Young People to Climb Ben Nevis to support people affected by poverty
- Shaking Hands With Christmas – Brian Whittingham
- Bob Law’s Blog: North Berwick to Gullane Walk – The Sunshine Coast
- Is this ‘Black Bitch’ name ban really justified?
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Mother India – Christmas Menu 2021 Set Menus
- Dante and Alasdair Gray Symposium
- Glasgow Film Theatre December Programme 2021
- Christmas Craft and Flea, The Briggait
- Starry Skies at CCA