Bob Law’s Blog: Lockdown – Nature in Glasgow
Even during lockdown nature can lift your spirits, especially in Spring during a long run of perfect days. Walks or cycle rides from my house in the West End of Glasgow have revealed a wonderland going about its own business, unconcerned by any human malady.
New buds spring into life, mint fresh green leaves unfurl in a range of different hues and pond life roars back into action again after a dormant winter break.
The golden avenue of daffodils along Great Western Road never fails to lift the spirits. Skyward, even opportunist gulls can be seen soaring in a blue cloudless sky – bringing confirmation of a heaven above. The only heaven I normally require anyway.
The peace and tranquility of quiet roads, even main ones, free of traffic, often turn mid afternoon into an early morning vibe with just a few folk, venturing out during the early days of the lockdown, visible in the distance. Sometimes a friendly subdued wave, a smile, or other acknowledgement, like distant ships passing in a wide ocean, just to remind each other of our shared humanity.
An hour long cycle ride to Clydebank or Dumbarton and back, along the canal, feels like a fresh new world unfolding, with birdsong in abundance and a still clarity in the air.
Wild animals, encouraged by the new silence in urban areas venturing back into city woods and parks like never before, including deer spotted quietly feeding in the middle of Drumchapel.
Ducks enjoy a less manicured, park pond free of the usual monthly maintenance efforts.
Although it will be good for society to go back to near normal I will miss this period of quiet reflection in an increasingly busy world.
Bob Law, Springtime, 2020
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer, Coronavirus, Pat's Home Page Blog
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Dora Wright
- Rigging Hill, Largs. October 2021
- Mika & Me Eyewear Glasgow
- Glasgow Open House Arts Festival 2021
- West End Festival 2021
- The Sorries at Cottiers
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Janine Jansen: Falling for Stradivari, GFT
- Glasgow Fancy Women Bike Ride
- Bob Law’s Blog: Evening Escapades
- Eglinton Country Park – Helen Rose Outdoors
- Riverside Festival x Turn The Tables
- Wully Davidson’s Bus Pass Rambles: Warm Day in the West Highlands
- Riverside Festival 2021
- A Play, A Pie and A Pint Autumn Programme 2021
- Sounds in the Suburbs – Refuweegee Show
- Glasgow Connects, Glasgow Science Festival 2021
- Walking and Writing with Lesley O’Brien, Glasgow Green