Bob Law’s Blog: Lockdown – Nature in Glasgow
Even during lockdown nature can lift your spirits, especially in Spring during a long run of perfect days. Walks or cycle rides from my house in the West End of Glasgow have revealed a wonderland going about its own business, unconcerned by any human malady.
New buds spring into life, mint fresh green leaves unfurl in a range of different hues and pond life roars back into action again after a dormant winter break.
The golden avenue of daffodils along Great Western Road never fails to lift the spirits. Skyward, even opportunist gulls can be seen soaring in a blue cloudless sky – bringing confirmation of a heaven above. The only heaven I normally require anyway.
The peace and tranquility of quiet roads, even main ones, free of traffic, often turn mid afternoon into an early morning vibe with just a few folk, venturing out during the early days of the lockdown, visible in the distance. Sometimes a friendly subdued wave, a smile, or other acknowledgement, like distant ships passing in a wide ocean, just to remind each other of our shared humanity.
An hour long cycle ride to Clydebank or Dumbarton and back, along the canal, feels like a fresh new world unfolding, with birdsong in abundance and a still clarity in the air.
Wild animals, encouraged by the new silence in urban areas venturing back into city woods and parks like never before, including deer spotted quietly feeding in the middle of Drumchapel.
Ducks enjoy a less manicured, park pond free of the usual monthly maintenance efforts.
Although it will be good for society to go back to near normal I will miss this period of quiet reflection in an increasingly busy world.
Bob Law, Springtime, 2020
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer, Coronavirus, Pat's Home Page Blog
- Summer Art Sessions Woodlands Community
- Outdoor Activities Woodlands Community
- Sonnet Youth Social Club
- Helen Rose’s Outdoor Diary, Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow. July 2020
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Cottiers At Home – Beer Garden Takeaway Extended Menu, Bottle Shop, Beer Garden Reopening
- Drive In Movies Paisley
- Great Styles from Around the Globe at Jasmine Boutique – Gallery
- Edinburgh Film Festival At Home
- A Northern Extravaganza with Shetlandic Poets Christie Williamson and Roseann Watt
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Sunset Sessions with Alan Frew
- Joan of Arc Glasgow Film Theatre – Virtual Cinema
- Nurture through Nature – one to one support Woodlands Community
- ‘Here Comes The Moon’ – live stream single launch Starry Skies
- Bob Law’s Blog: Lockdown – Nature in Glasgow
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 – Jazz on a Summer’s Day review by Pat Byrne
- Blessed Assurance by Stewart Ennis
- John Byrne’s 80th Birthday Bash, Paisley Book Festival 2020 review by Pat Byrne
- In Times of Self-Isolation poem by Rizwan Akhtar