Beyond the Visible: Hilma af Klint – GFT AT Home
£4.99 to rent
Documentary • 1h 34m
Beyond the Visible: Hilma af Klint
For years she was an all-but-forgotten figure in art history, but Hilma af Klint’s work inspired some of the most celebrated artists of our time, including Joseph Albers, Paul Klee, Cy Twombly, Andy Warhol, Mondrian and Kandinsky. Only recently has this visionary, trailblazing figure begun to receive the recognition she deserves, with a record-breaking retrospective at the Guggenheim Museum in 2018 marking the first major solo exhibition of her work in the USA.
Born in 1862, Hilma af Klint was an abstract artist before the term even existed. She was inspired by spiritualism, modern science and the riches of the natural world around her. From 1906, she began to reel out a series of massive, colourful, sensual and strange works without precedent in painting.
This dazzling, course-correcting documentary from director Halina Dyrschka describes not only af Klint’s life and craft, but also examines her mischaracterisation and erasure by both a patriarchal narrative of artistic progress and capitalistic determination of artistic value.
‘Bristles with the excitement of discovery.’ – New York Times
‘One of the best films I’ve seen about fine art… staggering depth.’ – Rogerebert.com
This section: Cinema, Zoom and online events
- Aye Write 2021 – Brit Bennet chaired by Nicola Sturgeon
- Aye Write 2021 – Kicking Off This Weekend
- Living Our Dying – anthology pre-sale launch
- Aye Write 2021 – Mel Giedroyc – debut novel
- Aye Write 2021 introduces Scottish Debuts
- Digging Out A Niche: In Conversation with Graham Lironi and Ian Spring
- Aye Write Programme 2021
- Aye Write 2021 – Helen McClory & Ruth Thomas
- Aye Write 2021 – A City and a Family’s Story of Slavery
- Aye Write 2021 Creative Writing
- Beginners Bird I.D.
- Wellbeing for Artists Working in Older People’s Care
- Rams at home with Glasgow Film Theatre
- Glasgow Trade Union May Day 2021
- Joan Eardley Centenary – Writers Celebrate her work
- Glasgow Film Theatre – reopening May 2021
- Africa in Motion – Notions of Citizenship
- Scottish Communities Climate Action Network Online Meetup
- Maryhill Matters May Day Matters
- The Joan Eardley Centenary Celebration