Before Stonewall +She Wanted Green Lawns, GFT
29 August, 2018
Screening as part of Independent Cinema Office x Club des Femmes season Revolt, She Said: Women and Film after ’68.
So much more than a brilliant documentary about LGBTQ+ life in the USA before the 1969 Stonewall riots, Greta Schiller’s perception-changing film places its audience in the presence of legends in their own lifetimes.
From Queen of Lesbian Pulp Ann Bannon revealing Beebo Brinker’s secrets, to poet-activist Audre Lorde putting her finger on the essential moment the queer underground joined hands with the Civil Rights movement, the film travels from Harlem speakeasies to McCarthyism via Rosie the Riveter, showing a community and culture ready to explode by 1968.
Deploying a treasure trove of archive footage and historical songs laced with double entendres, this incredibly important documentary shows that we’ve always been here, been queer, and ready to riot.
Accompanied by short film She Wanted Green Lawns (UK 1989, 4m)
GFT, 12 Rose St, Glasgow G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Monos ay GFT
- The King, GFT
- Non-Fiction, GFT
- SQIFF 2019 Black History Month: Calalai: In Betweenness + shorts
- Chinese Visual Festival CCA
- Mòd 2019 National Theatre of Scotland – Rocket Post screening + family drama workshop
- Mòd 2019 Gaelic Film Screenings: A taste of BBC Alba – Na Millenni-Gaels CCA
- French Film Festival GFT 2019
- The Irishman GFT
- Lost Lives plus Q & A
- Malcolm X 35 mm GFT
- Halloween at GFT 2019
- Preview: Pink Wall with Q & A
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Hitsville The Making of Motown Black History Month Glasgow
- Branagh Theatre Live – A Winter’s Tale GFT
- Cinemasters at GFT: Quentin Tarantino
- Scotland Loves Anime 10 Anniversary at GFT
- American Woman GFT
- Judy GFT