Before Stonewall +She Wanted Green Lawns, GFT
29 August, 2018
Screening as part of Independent Cinema Office x Club des Femmes season Revolt, She Said: Women and Film after ’68.
So much more than a brilliant documentary about LGBTQ+ life in the USA before the 1969 Stonewall riots, Greta Schiller’s perception-changing film places its audience in the presence of legends in their own lifetimes.
From Queen of Lesbian Pulp Ann Bannon revealing Beebo Brinker’s secrets, to poet-activist Audre Lorde putting her finger on the essential moment the queer underground joined hands with the Civil Rights movement, the film travels from Harlem speakeasies to McCarthyism via Rosie the Riveter, showing a community and culture ready to explode by 1968.
Deploying a treasure trove of archive footage and historical songs laced with double entendres, this incredibly important documentary shows that we’ve always been here, been queer, and ready to riot.
Accompanied by short film She Wanted Green Lawns (UK 1989, 4m)
GFT, 12 Rose St, Glasgow G3 6RB
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Leona GFT
- Depeche Mode Spirits in the Forest
- Michael Hutchence: Mystify GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow