Aye Write 2021 – Mel Giedroyc – debut novel
Chaired by Gabriella Bennett
15 May, 2021 4.45pm – 5.45pm
Mel Giedroyc has been entertaining the nation for nearly thirty years. A comedian, writer, actor and presenter, Mel is best known for her work with Sue Perkins in the double act Mel & Sue. They have presented many TV shows such as multi Bafta-winning The Great British Bake Off , (BBC) and Light Lunch (Channel 4). In her debut novel, ‘The Best Things’, we meet Sally Parker, who is struggling to find the hero inside herself. All she wants to do is lie down.
Her husband Frank has lost his business, their home and their savings, in one fell swoop. Their bank cards are being declined. The children have gone feral. And now the bailiffs are at the door.
What does an ordinary woman do when the bottom falls out? Sally Parker is about to surprise everybody. Most of all herself. A big-hearted story of a family on the brink, The Best Things is a life-affirming tale of failing, falling and finding a way back up.
£5 – Book Online
*PLEASE NOTE: This event will be pre-recorded and only available to watch at the live broadcast time.
This event is included in the Aye Write 2021 festival pass, so you will not need to purchase this event if you have already purchased a pass.
Books are available to purchase from our bookseller partner Bookshop.org. Bookshop.org supports independent booksellers and for every book purchased 10% comes back to Aye Write and Wee Write, helping to invest in Glasgow’s book festival and reader development programmes.
Aye Write 2021 ‘exploring everything from Politics and Music to Crime and Thriller from 14 – 23 May 2021.’
Filed under: Aye Write 2021, Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Pat's Home Page Blog, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Sonica Festival 2022
- Trans – I Got Life at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Cicada, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Temple Grandin plus Recorded Q & A, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Mass, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Nightmare Alley, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Memory Box, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Belfast, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Roy’s West End View: Battered Boris savaged by top Scots true blues
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Wullie Davidson’s Blog: Extreme Global Weather Events of 2021
- Bob Law’s Blog: An Unusual Cross Country Ski Day in Glasgow
- Mika & Me Eyewear Glasgow
- Glasgow National Park City AGM