Astro Black GSFF at CCA
14 – 17 March, 2019
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Titled in tribute to cosmic jazz artist Sun Ra’s 1972 album, Astro Black is an ongoing multi-channel video cycle with the musician as its central figure. Comprised entirely of samples from film and music sources, Soda_Jerk’s work takes us on an alternate history tour of political resistance and music, via Afrofuturism, avant-garde jazz, German electronic music, and hip-hop, as well as being stacked with pop cultural imagery, from the moon landing to Star Trek and David Bowie.
Formed in Sydney in 2002, Soda_Jerk is a two-person art collective working at the intersection of documentary and speculative fiction. They are fundamentally interested in the politics of images: how they circulate, whom they benefit, and how they can be undone, through sampling, re-editing, superimposition and humour.
The Astro Black cycle has been exhibited at institutions including the Barbican (London), Wexner Center for the Arts (Columbus), Museum of Contemporary Art Australia (Sydney), and the National Gallery of Art (Washington DC).
Astro Black is a free installation in CCA Intermedia Gallery, running from 11.00 until 19.00 each day of the festival.
This section: Cinema, Glasgow Film Festival 2019
- Moments of Resistance by Femspectives
- Iberodocs Lisbon Beat CCA
- Glasgow Film Festival: Master Cheng
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Heroic Losers
- Bacurau, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Take 2: Spies in Disguise, GFT
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 at CCA
- Dardishi Festival at CCA
- Alasdair Gray: A Life in Progress GFT
- Parasite GFT
- National Library of Scotland Kelvin Hall – World Thinking Day
- Love Sarah, Glasgow Film Festival
- The Public, GFT
- Little Joe, GFT
- Greed GFT
- Lost Transmissions, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- The Whistlers, Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020 Secret Location: Final Destination
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020: Jazz On A Summer’s Day
- Glasgow Film Festival 2020, Disco