Ajay Close, Scottish Suffragettes, The Project Cafe
Mayhem in Short Skirts, The Scottish Suffragettes
Tuesday 14 August, 2014 – 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
The Project Cafe, 134 Renfrew Street, G3 6ST
Scottish Writers Centre (change of venue from CCA)
£5/£3, free to all SWC members
Drinks will be available for a small donation, to help us say thank you to our temporary venue.
Arabella Scott set fire to a racecourse stand, Frances Gordon to a mansion. Maude Edwards slashed the King’s portrait. Ethel Moorhead and Fanny Parker tried to blow up Rabbie Burns’ cottage. Jailed in 1914, all five went on hunger and thirst strike and were force fed by prison doctor Hugh Ferguson Watson.
Ajay Close will discuss the extraordinary characters who inspired her novel, A Petrol Scented Spring, and explore the technical challenges and ethical dilemmas involved in writing fiction about real people and events. The talk will be illustrated with photographs of the suffragettes, the premises they attacked, and the infamous prison doctor.
‘A fascinating insight into one of the most compelling stories in the history of the women’s suffrage movement.’ The Times.
Ajay Close is a novelist, playwright and former award-winning journalist. Her debut novel, Official and Doubtful was long-listed for the Orange Prize. A Petrol Scented Spring was long-listed for the Walter Scott Prize for Historical Fiction and featured on BBC Radio 4’s A Good Read. Her first play, The Keekin Gless, was staged by Perth Youth Theatre. The Sma Room Séance (Poorboy Theatre Company) toured east Scotland and was revived at the Edinburgh Fringe. Her fifth novel, The Daughter of Lady Macbeth, was published in 2017.
- Winter Fine Art and Antiques Auction, Great Western Auction
- Thomas A Clark: Poet Artist Curator at Creative Converstions
- Charlie Gracie, Donal McLaughlin and Finola Scott CCA
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- The Lying King – Glasgow Christmas 2019
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Leona GFT
- Depeche Mode Spirits in the Forest
- Michael Hutchence: Mystify GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End