Africa in Motion Film Festival The Fighting Spirit CCA Mon 7 July 2014
Africa in Motion Film Festival
The Fighting Spirit
Mon 7 July 2014
7pm, FREE but ticketed, Cinema
Book online / 0141 352 4900
George Amponsah / Ghana 2007 / 1h20m / Ga with English subtitles
It is not easy to leave Bukom. A poor village in Ghana, its main industry is fishing, with a paltry annual salary of $300. So its young people are fighting their way out – literally. Thanks to tenacious coaches who turn rough street fighters into money-churning professional boxers, the village has produced several world champions, including the legendary Azumah ‘Zoom Zoom’ Nelson, and is now looking for its next superstar of the ring.
22-year-old George Ashie is excited to box overseas for the first time, but has girlfriend troubles back home. Known as the first lady of boxing, Yarkor Annan is using the memory of her cheating ex-boyfriend to fuel her fire, but is struggling to win her first big fight. Having already achieved international success, Joshua Clotty is campaigning for the world welterweight title, with the help of ‘connected’ manager Vinnie Scolpino.
This is a spirited look at Ghana through the eyes of those fighting for their dreams.
Africa in Motion (AiM) is an annual African film festival taking place in Scotland. The festival is working in partnership with Creative Scotland and Glasgow 2014 to hold a touring programme of African sports films in the lead up to the Commonwealth Games. The films screened at the CCA comprise a sample of the entire programme that is set to take viewers on a journey through the African Commonwealth highlighting triumphs and key challenges through sports.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Rocks at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- GYFF Miss Junetenth GFT
- GYFF: Back to the Future
- Nocturnal GFT
- Raman Mondair – Choreographies of Dance
- The Glasgow Diet – Discussion Event
- You’re Only Young Twice – Digital Doors Open Day 2020
- BFI London Film Festival 2020 at GFT
- September Programme at G.FT.
- The Lady in the Portrait GFT
- Make Up, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Glasgow Film Theatre – Re-opening Programme
- “Trainspotting The Italian Chapter” madness or success beyond the borders
- White Riot, Govanhill International Festival
- Govanhill International Festival 2020
- Take One Action 2020
- Edinburgh Festivals Past 1954 – 1969
- Glasgow Short Film Festival Online
- Glasgow Film Theatre Re-opening