RGI Annual Exhibition Posters, RGI Gallery 5 – 26 April 2014
5 – 26 April 2014
Our main display this month offers a selection of RGI Annual Exhibition posters covering a twenty year period from the 1980’s onwards.
They feature the works of such diverse artists as Duncan F Shanks, Bet Low, Philip Reeves, John Houston, Elizabeth Blackadder and David Donaldson.
The first RGI exhibition was held 1861 in the Corporation Galleries – now the McLellan Galleries – in Sauchiehall Street, attracting tens of thousands of visitors in those early years. The McLellan Galleries were home to the RGI’s annual exhibitions for most of its history until closed by the City Council in 2002. Declared ‘surplus to requirements’ by Glasgow Life in 2007, they were occupied temporarily by the Glasgow School of Art.
The RGI’s campaign to revive the fortunes of these magnificent, purpose-built Galleries achieved the return of our 152nd Annual Exhibition there last November. And such was the volume of interest generated by our initiative that the City Council is now hopeful of a more secure future for the Galleries, subject to the outcome of an Executive Meeting in May.
We anticipate our 153rd Annual Exhibition being held there in November this year and all artists at whatever stage in their career are invited to submit works to be considered for this the biggest annual open exhibition in Scotland. (See website for details in due course.)
The RGI welcomes works in painting, sculpture, fine art photography, printmaking, drawing, mixed media as well as architectural drawing and models.
The Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts is an independent charitable organisation promoting and encouraging Scotland’s contemporary art and artists. It was formed by a group of ten prominent Glasgow businessmen and artists who first met on 29 May 1861 to establish annual exhibitions of the work of living artists.
We also have a various works by current RGI artists and artists who have links with the RGI through either exhibiting at the Kelly Gallery or the Annual Exhibition including Robin Leishman, Ruth Nicol, John Inglis PRSW RGI HAWI and Gregor Smith RSW.
As well as the artwork on show, please feel free to come in and browse our selection of books and artist catalogues
RGI Kelly Gallery
118 Douglas Street,
Glasgow G2 4ET
Tel: 0141 248 6386
Fax: 0141 221 0417
This section: Art - what's on
Filed under: Art - what's on
- Woodlands Artists Residency Weekend
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 14 June, 2018
- Examination Paper, Creative Writing Event/Installation, Scotland Street School
- Limited Edition Art Sale, The Store Interiors
- Light Stream, Lynn Howarth and Peter McNair, Lillie Gallery
- The Art of Words, Thistle Gallery, 7 June, 2018
- Liquid Light by Vic Rodrick, First Solo Exhibition, Veneer, Glasgow
- A Day Out, The Lighthouse
- Jot and Tittle Expo, citizen M Glasgow
- RE:search Glasgow Science Festival
- Lost Glasgow, More Than Memories Exhibition, Arlington Baths
- E. Jane / Hardeep Pandhal Opening GI Festival, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Nnena Kalu, ProjectAbility, Glasgow
- Transatlantic connections – Hunterian exhibition brings Harvard’s historic treasures to Glasgow
- Woodlands Arts Survey & Artist Network Lunch Woodlands Workspace
- Fresh Work Springs Eternal at Thistle Gallery
- Cross-feed Night School with Dr David Luke
- ‘Spring: the music of open windows’ at Thistle Gallery
- Dr Yupin Chung: Tea Under A Willow Tree, Glasgow Art Club
- 150th Anniversary Talks: Joanne Laird & Norman Walker Scotland Street School