RGI Annual Exhibition Posters, RGI Gallery 5 – 26 April 2014
5 – 26 April 2014
Our main display this month offers a selection of RGI Annual Exhibition posters covering a twenty year period from the 1980’s onwards.
They feature the works of such diverse artists as Duncan F Shanks, Bet Low, Philip Reeves, John Houston, Elizabeth Blackadder and David Donaldson.
The first RGI exhibition was held 1861 in the Corporation Galleries – now the McLellan Galleries – in Sauchiehall Street, attracting tens of thousands of visitors in those early years. The McLellan Galleries were home to the RGI’s annual exhibitions for most of its history until closed by the City Council in 2002. Declared ‘surplus to requirements’ by Glasgow Life in 2007, they were occupied temporarily by the Glasgow School of Art.
The RGI’s campaign to revive the fortunes of these magnificent, purpose-built Galleries achieved the return of our 152nd Annual Exhibition there last November. And such was the volume of interest generated by our initiative that the City Council is now hopeful of a more secure future for the Galleries, subject to the outcome of an Executive Meeting in May.
We anticipate our 153rd Annual Exhibition being held there in November this year and all artists at whatever stage in their career are invited to submit works to be considered for this the biggest annual open exhibition in Scotland. (See website for details in due course.)
The RGI welcomes works in painting, sculpture, fine art photography, printmaking, drawing, mixed media as well as architectural drawing and models.
The Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts is an independent charitable organisation promoting and encouraging Scotland’s contemporary art and artists. It was formed by a group of ten prominent Glasgow businessmen and artists who first met on 29 May 1861 to establish annual exhibitions of the work of living artists.
We also have a various works by current RGI artists and artists who have links with the RGI through either exhibiting at the Kelly Gallery or the Annual Exhibition including Robin Leishman, Ruth Nicol, John Inglis PRSW RGI HAWI and Gregor Smith RSW.
As well as the artwork on show, please feel free to come in and browse our selection of books and artist catalogues
RGI Kelly Gallery
118 Douglas Street,
Glasgow G2 4ET
Tel: 0141 248 6386
Fax: 0141 221 0417
This section: Art - what's on
Filed under: Art - what's on
- Mind and Draw, The Space, Saturdays
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club Exhibition, Caulders Garden Centre 22 – 25 February, 2018
- Alberto Vazquez Dark Fables: From comics to films, CCA, Glasgow
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh: Making the Glasgow Style
- Henry Raeburn’s ‘Boy and Rabbit’ at Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- can’t take my eyes off you – ProjectAbility
- Japanese Prints and their influence at the end of the 19th century, Glasgow Art Club
- ‘Turning Over A New Leaf’ Exhibition at Thistle Gallery
- ‘Unwrapped’ Christmas Exhibition & Gifts at Thistle Gallery Glasgow until 24 Dec, 2017
- Thistle Gallery at Christmas
- Context, Exibition of Photography and other interesting images at Offshore Gallery
- Scotland: The Land Beneath Our Feet, ProjectAbility
- The Art of Four, book by Roger Bilcliffe, The Lighthouse
- Chozumaki, The Lighthouse Glasgow
- Temporary Closure of Mackintosh House
- ProjectAbility at Mono
- Artchitecture at the Arlington Baths Club, Collage Exhibition by Marion Gardyne, 1 – 17 December, 2017
- RGI Annual Exhibition, The Mitchell Library, 11 November – 26 November, 2017
- Arctic Walruses in Paisley, Art, Poetry, Fountain and Fun, 25 November, 2017
- Christmas Art Show, Lillie Gallery, November – December, 2017