Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
I’ve taken a week of my annual leave this week, and decided to do an ‘easy one’. Today, it was St Andrews, mainly because I’ve never been there, but also because a nurse who was attending me during a recent medical procedure said it was ‘fantastic’. At just 2 hours and 36 minutes from Glasgow, it would be a dawdle. There were no hitches and I arrived in St Andrews at 1155. It’s a lovely place, a mixture of old and new, with the emphasis on old. There were a lot of graduates in their black gowns getting photographed, and lots of well dressed proud parents wandering around.
I was surprised at how near the golf course was to the town. Tiger Woods could have driven from the course to the town centre. There’s a golf museum, but that didn’t interest me. The ruined castle had a £9 admission charge, which I was not going to pay. The ruined cathedral was very impressive. It must have been a huge building in its heyday, and you wonder how people back then could have built such a thing.
There’s an aquarium in the town, which I decided to visit. £12 admission charge, reduced to £10 with a concession card. From the outside, it looked pretty small, so I had the feeling I was going to be slightly ripped off. But, it was a lovely experience. Compact and bijoux. Although it’s called an aquarium, it’s also a reptile house, and has huge Atlantic seals, penguins, meerkats, marmosets, tarantulas, and a colony of leaf cutting ants.
Highly recommended if you’re ever in town. I tried uploading a picture or two, but got the message that I was only allowed to upload 501 kb. I’ve no idea what that means. I guess I’ll always be a computer numpty.
Email Wully Davidson
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: Inverary to Dunoon
- Wullie Davidson: Bus Pass Rambles – Tobermory
- Wully Davidson Bus Pass Rambles: Kerrera
- Wully Davidson: Kerrera Misadventure
- Wullie Davidson: Bus Pass Rambles – Elie to Anstruther
- Wully Davidson’s Bus Pass Rambles: Warm Day in the West Highlands
- Wully Davidson’s Blog: Isle of Gigha
- Wullie Davidson: Bus Pass Ramblings – Crail to Anstruther
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: Inverary and Tarbert
- Day Away on Scottish Ferries
- Wullie Davidson Bus Pass Ramblings: Glasgow – Inverness – Fort William
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings – West Highland Railway, Mallaig and Ferry to Armadale
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Rambles: North Berwick and Dunbar
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews