White Riot, Govanhill International Festival
Friday 21 August, 2020, 7. p.m. – 10 p.m.
Screening, Q & A and Afterparty
It’s three years since the first Govanhill Festival took inspiration from the Rock Against Racism (RAR) movement and hosted ‘Roots, Rock, Reggae Against Racism’ in Queen’s Park bandstand with Aswad, Misty In Roots, Black Roots, and more.
Glasgow Love Music Hate Racism (LMHR) has since taken its own inspiration from that momentous movement as a new generation forges unity through the power of music, in the struggle against racism and the rise of the far right.
Glasgow LMHR, Smoking Bear and Modern Films, with Glasgow Film Theatre, will virtually screen this special festival preview of Rubika Shah’s award-winning film White Riot, documenting the RAR movement and its 1978 Carnival Against The Nazis, plus a panel discussion with the director, home grown RAR punks and special guests. The night concludes with a special LMHR Living Room Afterparty.
Friday 21 August, 19.00 to 22.00
19.00: Screening – tune in via the film link at the top of this page. (£9.99 ticket, proceeds split between GFT, LMHR and Modern Films)
20.30: Q&A – tune in via the LMHR Facebook page
21.00: Afterparty – join in via the LMHR Facebook page
Filed under: Cinema, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Pat's Home Page Blog, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more, Zoom and online events
- Govanhill Children’s Book Festival
- Hannah Rarity at Cottiers (rescheduled)
- Kim Edgar and Rhona Macfarlane at Cottiers
- Piping Live! Family Fun Day
- Scotland on Tour – The Rum Shack, Glasgow
- A Robbery at 1.46 a.m. and Bedsit – Websters Theatre
- The Paul McKenna Band – Websters Theatre
- The Mould That Changed The World – Websters Theatre
- Access Film Club: Hot Fuzz
- Blind Ambition at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Eric Ravilious: Drawn To War at GFT
- Notre Dame On Fire at GFT
- Nightclubbing: The Birth of Punk Rock in New York City
- The Harder They Come – 50th Annivesary
- Break the Cycle of Homelessness with Social Bite
- Occupy! Occupy! Occupy! – graphic novel launch
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Govanhill’s Got Talent
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: Review – The Way Home by Robin Scott-Elliot
- Beyond the Rainbow (100th Birthday Celebration for Judy Garland)