West End Wildlife, Hillhead Library, Byres Road, Tuesday 20 June, 2017
(By Hildesvini (Own work) [CC0], via Wikimedia Commons)
Hillhead Library, 348 Byres Road, G12 8AP
Jim Coyle MBE of Friends of Glasgow’s Local Nature Reserves, illustrates the birds and other wildlife to be found during a typical year in the gardens, parks and open spaces of Glasgow’s west end. He will also explain the importance of habitat creation and management and how simple techniques can attract wildlife to your garden.
Friends of Glasgow West Talks Programme. All talks are fully illustrated. Talks begin at 6.30pm and last 75 minutes. Arrive early to guarantee a seat!
For more info please call 0141 334 6354.
Part of West End Festival
Watch out for highlights at West End Festival 2017
Glasgow Nature Reserves
What is a Local Nature Reserve?
Local Nature Reserves (LNRs) are places that have a natural value in terms of the rarity or special qualities of the wildlife and/or the wildlife habitat that can be found there. For instance one (Commonhead Moss) is a raised bog, a very rare and threatened habitat in Glasgow, whilst others have rare species such as the purple hairstreak butterfly found in woodland habitat at Garscadden Woods and Dawsholm Park LNR’s.
They are also important places in which people can explore, enjoy and learn about nature and its value to Glasgow. Because of this most of them have active involvement from the local community living near them, including schools, students, friends groups and other local interest groups.
All are owned and managed by Glasgow City Council apart from three in the north of the city, which are managed under a lease agreement by Forestry Commission.
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry and Creative Writing Events, West End Festival 2017, West End Festival Glasgow, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Volunteer Led Bike Ride
- St Andrew’s Day– Torchlight Parade
- Ghost Signs Glasgow Exhibition Tour
- West End Festival 2021
- Family Weekender at Websters
- Screening: It’s Not All Rock and Roll
- Glasgow’s Golden Generation – October Bunjee Jump
- The Sorries at Cottiers
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Glasgow Doors Open Day 2021 – Arlington Baths Club
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Big Tunes at the Bandstand – Kelvingrove, Glasgow
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Do The Right Thing, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Our Ladies, GFT
- Annette, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wildfire plus Q & A at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021