Water as Poetry Inspiration, CCA, 4 July, 2017
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tuesday 4 July, 2017
Water as Poetry Inspiration, with Morelle Smith, Shaping the Water Path, and George Colkitto, The Year of the Loch. Both books published by diehard, 2017.
Morelle Smith and George Colkitto both have new collections of poetry largely inspired by water. In this workshop, we will consider water as an element of poetry.
George Colkitto has based his whole book on one sheet of water, Castle Semple Loch at Lochwinnoch in Ayrshire, which he visited regularly for a year. He will look at the varying moods of water and the environmental impact of water, memories, moods, human behaviour and that of the water birds. Using a single observation point enables him to emphasise both continuity and changes over time, while the water keeps flowing through all.
Morelle Smith uses the idea of Liminal, where land and water meet. Her poems travel with water, we see the effect of ocean and storm, flood and landscape. As she wanders through a world infused with her special poetic vision, the power of water is a constant. Water divides and unites, it is inescapable. Morelle Smith finds water and shores everywhere and assimilates them into her poetic vision.
The poets will talk about their collections and how various poems arose from the theme, and we will then read one poem from each collection in depth, for the presence of water and what it can represent.
There will be a handout referring to some famous poems in which water is central, from the Odyssey onwards. We will have prompts and suggestions for writing poetry from a starting point of water.
This a FREE Event for all
The SWC is a registered Charity, SCO40823. We welcome donations to help us bring future events to you.
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Public Reception Streetworks
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Santaland and Season’s Greetings Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA