Water as Poetry Inspiration, CCA, 4 July, 2017
CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Tuesday 4 July, 2017
Water as Poetry Inspiration, with Morelle Smith, Shaping the Water Path, and George Colkitto, The Year of the Loch. Both books published by diehard, 2017.
Morelle Smith and George Colkitto both have new collections of poetry largely inspired by water. In this workshop, we will consider water as an element of poetry.
George Colkitto has based his whole book on one sheet of water, Castle Semple Loch at Lochwinnoch in Ayrshire, which he visited regularly for a year. He will look at the varying moods of water and the environmental impact of water, memories, moods, human behaviour and that of the water birds. Using a single observation point enables him to emphasise both continuity and changes over time, while the water keeps flowing through all.
Morelle Smith uses the idea of Liminal, where land and water meet. Her poems travel with water, we see the effect of ocean and storm, flood and landscape. As she wanders through a world infused with her special poetic vision, the power of water is a constant. Water divides and unites, it is inescapable. Morelle Smith finds water and shores everywhere and assimilates them into her poetic vision.
The poets will talk about their collections and how various poems arose from the theme, and we will then read one poem from each collection in depth, for the presence of water and what it can represent.
There will be a handout referring to some famous poems in which water is central, from the Odyssey onwards. We will have prompts and suggestions for writing poetry from a starting point of water.
This a FREE Event for all
The SWC is a registered Charity, SCO40823. We welcome donations to help us bring future events to you.
- Compass Gallery: Gary Anderson RSW : Thoughts and Contemplations
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Spotlight on Stress- free online masterclass
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Beyond Form Creative Writing Courses
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced
- Carlton Jug Band at The Clutha
- Report Launch – Tackling Food Poverty
- Sense Scotland Christmas Concert Online
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- Hope GFT
- No Radio Silence – launch of film by Unity Sisters
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants, Carlton Studios
- A Christmas Carol- A Hauntingly Hilarious Family Panto!