A Visit to Kelvingrove
Jim paid a visit to Kelvingrove Art Gallery
10 February, 2022
‘I’ve got lots of favourite paintings in the Kelvingrove art gallery. Especially those by Scottish painters: the Glasgow Boys and Girls and the colourists like Cadell and Peploe – and many more. It’s like visiting friends. They are joy. Reflections by F C B Cadell.
When you look at a painting by Cadell it adds something when you know that – that is his mirror, his mantlepiece, his drawing room, his immaculately designed home – that is the setting for many of his paintings.’ Jim Byrne
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Argyle Street, Glasgow G3 8AG
‘Another couple of my favourite paintings from Kelvingrove Art Gallery.
Henrietta Diana, Dowager Countess of Stafford by Allan Ramsay and Ann Pattison (Mrs William Urquhart) by Henry Raeburn.
You have to be standing in front of them to really appreciate how present these individuals are in the paintings. These are not ‘old paintings’ they are people having a dialogue with the artists.
Ann Pattison is only 17 – and newly married. I see the youthfulness and the innocence – but how could there not be a certain amount of, ‘well I guess this is what I’m supposed to do, but do I like it?’ – in someone so young.’ Jim Byrne, 11 February, 2022.
This section: Art, Art & artists Glasgow West End, Jim's West End Photography Diary
- Friday Focus: Scottish Art Acquisitions
- Artists’ Christmas Fayre
- Stage and Screen Exhibition at The Hunterian
- The Lush Exhibition – Project-Ability
- Freya O’Neill Art
- Old Kilpatrick Art Club, Art Show, Ardardan Garden Centre
- GI Oils Exhibition – From East to West
- Sogo Arts – Art by Tommy
- Banksy at GOMA – Cut and Run
- Robert Burns Photography Exhibition – A Window On Ukraine
- REVEAL – previously Glasgow Contemporary Art Fair
- Home Grown In Glasgow – a poem for International Women’s Day by Ruby McCann
- The Love of Print – Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Bearsden Art Club at the Lillie Gallery
- Stitched – Textile Exhibition, ProjectAbility
- Origins – art exhibition Willie Sutherland
- A Bowl, A Boat – Sarah Kudirka Exhibition, The Briggait
- Artist Demonstration with Bronwen Sleigh – Kelvingrove Art Gallery
- Conserving Hoyland, The Hunterian
- Maud Sulter exhibition at Pollok House