The Glasgow School of Art Material Culture in Action: Practices of making, collecting and re-enacting Art and Design Mon 7 September — Tue 8 September 2015 CCA
The Glasgow School of Art
Material Culture in Action: Practices of making, collecting and re-enacting Art and Design
Mon 7 September — Tue 8 September 2015
10am, £119.40 (£49.40) + 60p booking fee, Cinema, Theatre & Clubroom
Book online / 0141 352 4900
Please note: tickets allow entry to both days of the conference – events on Mon 7 September take place at GSA, while events on Tue 8 September take place in CCA and GSA.
With its rich cross-disciplinary programme and contributions from international speakers, this GSA conference explores contemporary practices of making, collecting, and re-enacting art and design.
What would a study of the material life of art schools and studios reveal? How can archives and museums be understood as spaces of recollection as well as creation? To what extent have material culture theories critically informed practices of art and design, and can art and design practices reciprocally contribute to the field of material culture studies?
This two-day research event brings together scholars, artists, designers, architects, curators, librarians and archivists. In their research and individual practices they all engage with such pressing and entwined issues as the meaning of materiality in the age of digitisation; the role of the art school and art school teaching in the 21st century; the affective, political and multi-sensorial powers of things; making as means of remembrance and resistance.
Keynotes will be delivered by Prof Esther Leslie (University of Birkbeck), Prof Guy Julier (University of Brighton / V&A Museum), Prof Tim Ingold (University of Aberdeen) and Ian Helliwell (artist / film-maker).
Conference events include film screenings, an exhibition on the Glasgow School of Art in the 1970s, as well as several workshops and sessions in the Library and in the GSA Case-Room. The conference takes place across several venues in and around Garnethill. The Glasgow School of Art will be our venue for Day 1 (Sept 7). Day 2 (Sept 8) events will take place across GSA and the CCA.
See website: https://materialculturegsa.wordpress.com/
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- The Scribbler’s Union – Vol.1 Book Launch (2 Nights!)
- New Patterns for Paisley, Paisley Book Festival
- What It Means To Overcome – Paisley Film Festival
- Paisley Book Festival – A Kist of Thistles
- Film Festival Institut Francais
- How Does It Feel To Be Loved – Virtual Dance Party
- The Burns Supper Addressed Burns Centre University of Glasgow
- Hannah Lavery Creative Conversations
- The World I Fell Out Of – Melanie Reid
- Vivian French and The Giant’s Tea Party
- COP26 Global Event In Glasgow – Seeks Volunteers
- Fright Fest Glasgow Film Festival Online 2021
- Believe in Scotland Virtual Burns Supper
- A Virtual Burns Night Edinburgh Castle
- Janey Godley’s Big Burns Supper Online
- Paisley Book Festival 2021 – Online
- Bemis – Celtic Connections in the Community
- Opening Celebration Concert Celtic Connections Online 2021
- Glasgow Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Creative Conversations: Oyinkan Braithwaite