The Glad Cafe, 6th birthday celebration
Glad Cafe 6th Birthday Bash with KING AYISOBA with AYUUNE SULE + PAINTED XRAY + HOWIE REEVE + DAVID BARBAROSSA (DJ)
THE GLAD CAFE IS 6 YEARS OLD!!!
Saturday 18 August, 2018
Join them for their big birthday bash with this smashing line-up of musicians:
£12 (tickets and full details)
KING AYISOBA with AYUNNE SULE
From the Upper East Region of Ghana, comes the rebel sound of a man ruling the roost with song, dance and regal Kologo power.
“‘As the style’s undisputed trailblazer, he brought kologo to sudden and dizzying popularity both at home and abroad, and finds himself with a lot of space to experiment. This is fierce, uncompromising music; Ayisoba himself is imperious throughout, urging proceedings on with his trademark vocal tones, half strangled yelp, half furious growl” — THE WIRE
PAINTED XRAY (fka ILK)
A band with taiko at its heart, Painted Xray (formely known as ILK) are taiko (Japanese drums, Georgie McGeown & Alison Roe), guitar (Jer Reid), bass (Ali Begbie) and violin (Rafe Fitzpatrick) – skins and strings.
Painted Xray are based in Glasgow and have played festivals and gigs in Scotland and England, including Wild Woods in Bradford, Nice’n’Sleazy’s in Glasgow, Henry’s Cellar bar in Edinburgh, and recently played at the Glad Cafe, Glasgow, as part of the 2018 Celtic Connections festival.
We’re also delighted to have our good pal (and yours) Howie Reeve be part of this special birthday bill. Howie plays solo bass with vocals, and collaborations.
The night will be followed by a DJ set in the caf from the awesome DAVID BARBAROSSA!
(Poster artwork by Kaitlin Mechan)
The Glad Cafe, 1006a Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow G41 2HG
- Mongrel: Donna Campbell debut poetry collection
- World Book Night with Denise Mina
- Celebrate Your Story – Workshop with Samina Chaudry
- Mother India Cafe & Open for Takeaway and Uber Eats
- The Everything Thing by Jim McAteer – Single Launch
- Open The Door Festival 2021 – Scottish Women’s Writing
- Aye Write 2021 – Pre-Festival Event
- Woodlands Climate Action 2021 Coffee Chats – COP26 and Local Climate Action
- Beats – GFT At Home
- Song Without A Name online at GFT
- Days of the Bagnold Summer
- Carlton Sessions
- A WORKING CLASS STATE OF MIND by Colin Burnett
- Femspectives Film Festival 2021 announces full programme
- Minari at GFF21 – review by Pat Byrne
- Launch of The Ship Yard Project
- Wee Nature Fest – Islands of Abandonment
- Sheena Blackhall – Meet the Author
- Slow Nature – Woodlands Community Booklet Launch
- A Year of Workers’ Stories