The City as a Movie Screen, Sunday 27 September, 2015 at (BAad) The Barras
The City as a Movie Screen
Sunday 27 September, 2015
The Barras Art and Design (BAad) 4 Calton Entry, Glasgow G40 2SB
City as a Movie Screen will be a cinematic celebration of the film heritage of Glasgow, with looping archive footage screening throughout the event on a large main screen and two TVs positioned beside the bar. The event will be an immersive and fun opportunity for audiences to experience archive film in a uniquely Glaswegian environment.
The archive films range from the nostalgia of 60’s ballroom in Dancing at Barrowlands to iconic yet everyday landscape of the city in Out & About: Glasgow. All of the films exude the notable charm of Glasgow: it’s clear why people felt compelled to capture these moments.
In an area famous for its markets, City as a Movie Screen will recreate its very own: the audience will be able to browse and buy from the stalls of vintage and independent traders from across Glasgow and the Barras, and wander into shops of the tenants of BAaD.
Watch out for The Braw Wee Emporium
Muldoon’s Ragtime, Jazz and Blues Band will be recreating the thrill of the Barrowlands Ballroom with an hour long set from 7pm. This six piece band will play original jazz and swing, and with plenty of room for dancing there’ll bex no excuse not to!
Actors will be positioned throughout the market as the audience arrive and following the band’s set they will bring to life typical Glaswegian characters, whether it be a Barras stallholder or your wee old granny out doing her Sunday shop.
The event will be mostly unseated, although there will be some seating available in front of the screen, and BAaD bar will be open throughout the evening.
Stalls for City as a Movie Screen will be provided by The City Retro Fashion, Glickman’s Confectionery, The Braw Wee Emporium and more to be confirmed.
Experience the authentic atmosphere of the Barras and be transported back to the heyday of the bustling market with Glasgow Film Theatre’s City as a Movie Screen event. Once through the doors of BAaD the audience can browse the stalls of native Barras traders to find antique oddities and vintage gems as well some of BAaD ‘s very own vendors. Experience the thrill of the classic Barrowlands Ballroom with a live swing band and dancers, with plenty of room to dance, whilst the archive films loop.
This section: Cinema
Filed under: Cinema
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2021
- Black Histories on Film at Glasgow Film Theatre 2021
- BFI London Film Festival 2021 at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Last Night in Soho, Glasgow Film Theatre
- French Film Festival UK 2021
- Glasgow Film Theatre Announces Return of Christmas Programme
- The Children’s Wood – Nicola Davies with Readings and Screening
- Screening: It’s Not All Rock and Roll
- Do The Right Thing, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Our Ladies, GFT
- Annette, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wildfire plus Q & A at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021
- Aya Films – showcasing new Scottish curatorial talent
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021 – Programme Announced
- Women’s Work, Nature and the Colonies – Climate Change Screenings
- Eye of the Storm film by Anthony Baxter
- Nae Pasaran – Outdoor Screening East Kilbride
- Winnie Herbstein – Dampbusters at CCA
- Zola at GFT