The Changing Face of Glasgow in 2022
Bob Law: Walks and Photography
On a recent trip into Glasgow City Centre I was struck by the number of new buildings that have gone up in the last couple of years. This might be due to the Covid 19 pandemic causing job losses in certain areas and as a compensation more work going into the construction industry, which is mainly working outdoors, to keep the economy moving.
Whatever the reason there does seem to be some major building projects, either finishing up or still ongoing in the Central District. The massive Barclays Bank complex being the most obvious change to the Tradeston Area, along the waterfront, and open for business as of this year 2022.
On the opposite bank of the River Clyde the main waterfront area has several new high rise buildings. mainly hotels, going up, as this district gets a major makeover with more new buildings in the pipeline.
In the north of the city on the vacant lands just above Glasgow’s Caledonian University a large number of student apartments have been built and just beyond that, in what used to be multi storey Sighthill, lower level modern housing is taking shape with a new pedestrian bridge across the M8 proposed to link them together.
Add in another large new gleaming bank with its own rooftop terrace and running track, and several more new or refurbished buildings dotted around Glasgow’s Financial District; a major makeover of Queen Street Station; a new high cube appearing on Bath Street in the shape of Elgin Place: The Met Tower project near The University of Strathclyde; The Avenues Project happening right across the city; The Moda Living complex, and the refurbishment of Pegasus House into a hotel beside several other developments in Holland Street and you have modern buildings springing up everywhere.
Bewildering… and exciting!
This section: Bob Law: photographer, walker and writer, Pat's Home Page Blog
- Summer of Stories at The Hunterian
- Sma’ Shot Day 2022
- A Walk Around Edinburgh Castle
- Reel Roots: Windrush at GFT
- Goldilocks Goes to Greece, Summer Panto OranMor
- Acting Up – Drama Workshops for Children and Young People
- Roy’s West End View: History is bunk …and it ends just outside London
- Our Past and Present Beautiful Lives: part of Refugee Week
- Eusebi Afternoon Tea – Charity Fundraiser
- Make Music Day 2022
- Glasgow Mela 2022
- Dandelion Festival Kelvingrove Park
- Exhibition: Origin of WA – Before the Mask
- Remembering and Celebrating Esther Brown
- B.A. Modern Ballet Graduation Performance 2022 Royal Conservatoire
- Science Sunday – Glasgow Science Festival 2022
- Rod Picott at The Glad Cafe
- Hurricane Season 2022 – Wullie Davidson
- Late Night: Twin Peaks – Fire Walk With Me 4k GFT
- Helen Rose’s Outdoor Diary: Stirling