Ten Writers Telling Lies book and cd launch review by Mary Irvine
Ten writers telling lies…
The date, Thursday 27th April, 2017. The venue, Cottiers Theatre, Glasgow. The event, the culmination of a 15 month project between ten authors and the accomplished musician/songwriter, Jim Byrne.
I had attended several ‘taster’ sessions during the project and couldn’t wait to see it in its entirety. And I was not disappointed, nor was the sell-out audience. Their response reflected both their enjoyment and appreciation of a very professional presentation.
The stories and poems were varied in both style and content – comic, poignant, reminiscences, thought provoking. The songs were similarly so and Jim Byrne and Graham Mackintosh, on guitar and banjo, performed with considerable flair. I do have my favourite story and song but am not revealing which they are so I don’t influence a new audience.
I understand that an application for funding the project was turned down. It’s difficult to comprehend the reasoning behind the refusal. Surely this unique collaboration amongst talented artists is the sort of project that should be encouraged and promoted?
Nil desperandum. The group went ahead anyway and their hard work was rewarded and displayed in this event, justifying the faith they had in themselves and each other. Congratulations to all concerned. Long may the success continue.
I strongly recommend you attend one of the live sessions coming up at various venues. But to enjoy or re-live the project in its entirety buy the book and cd at £12 .99 at Ten Writers Telling Lies online shop.
PS I haven’t worked out any of the author’s dark secrets. I’m thinking that it’s a double bluff and that the lie is there isn’t one…
Mary Irvine, 2 May, 2017
Ten Writers Telling Lies Events
Tuesday, 9 May, 2017 – 7 p.m.
Scottish Writers, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Saturday 13 May, 2017 – 2 p.m.
Booked! West Dunbartonshire Festival of Words, Dalmuir Library, 10 Lennox Pl, Clydebank G81 4LX
Thursday, 8 June, 2017 – 7 p.m.
West End Festival, Waterstones, 351-355 Byres Rd, Glasgow G12 8AU
Further events will take place later in the year.
- ‘A Handful of Dates’ Africa in Motion Online
- Mother India Cafe – Takeaway and Uber Eats
- Historic Significance of Ellisland Farm, Centre for Robert Burns
- Best of Africa in Motion Shorts – Shoeshine screening online
- Online Quiz Night with Duglus T Stewart
- Helen Rose’s Outdoor Diary – Glasgow Botanic Gardens
- Jasmine Boutique – Stay at Home Service
- Mary Irvine’s Blog: ‘Troy’ Exhibition at the British Museum
- Performance Cancelled by Pat Byrne
- Sounds in the Suburbs Refuweegee Fundraiser
- Ian R. Mitchell – Some Images From Glasgow’s Past
- Cake At Number 8: Cupcakes Against Covid
- Jamaica Kincaid: novelist and writer – Creative Conversations ZOOM EVENT
- Helen Rose’s Outdoor Diary: Binghams Pond and Dawsholm Park
- Fiona Alderman: Stuck in Salignac and Just Waiting
- Mary Irvine’s blog: Tutankhamun – Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh
- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A DANCING ANIMAL poem by Brian Whittingham
- Bob Law’s Blog: Scotland – Walking and Photography Lunderston Bay To Kip Marina
- Teachers and Volunteers at Hyndland Secondary School Sewing Hospital Scrubs
- Beatson puts fun into fundraising – online quizz