Ten Writers Telling Lies book and cd launch review by Mary Irvine
Ten writers telling lies…
The date, Thursday 27th April, 2017. The venue, Cottiers Theatre, Glasgow. The event, the culmination of a 15 month project between ten authors and the accomplished musician/songwriter, Jim Byrne.
I had attended several ‘taster’ sessions during the project and couldn’t wait to see it in its entirety. And I was not disappointed, nor was the sell-out audience. Their response reflected both their enjoyment and appreciation of a very professional presentation.
The stories and poems were varied in both style and content – comic, poignant, reminiscences, thought provoking. The songs were similarly so and Jim Byrne and Graham Mackintosh, on guitar and banjo, performed with considerable flair. I do have my favourite story and song but am not revealing which they are so I don’t influence a new audience.
I understand that an application for funding the project was turned down. It’s difficult to comprehend the reasoning behind the refusal. Surely this unique collaboration amongst talented artists is the sort of project that should be encouraged and promoted?
Nil desperandum. The group went ahead anyway and their hard work was rewarded and displayed in this event, justifying the faith they had in themselves and each other. Congratulations to all concerned. Long may the success continue.
I strongly recommend you attend one of the live sessions coming up at various venues. But to enjoy or re-live the project in its entirety buy the book and cd at £12 .99 at Ten Writers Telling Lies online shop.
PS I haven’t worked out any of the author’s dark secrets. I’m thinking that it’s a double bluff and that the lie is there isn’t one…
Mary Irvine, 2 May, 2017
Ten Writers Telling Lies Events
Tuesday, 9 May, 2017 – 7 p.m.
Scottish Writers, CCA, 350 Sauchiehall Street, G2 3JD
Saturday 13 May, 2017 – 2 p.m.
Booked! West Dunbartonshire Festival of Words, Dalmuir Library, 10 Lennox Pl, Clydebank G81 4LX
Thursday, 8 June, 2017 – 7 p.m.
West End Festival, Waterstones, 351-355 Byres Rd, Glasgow G12 8AU
Further events will take place later in the year.
- Christmas Craft and Flea, The Briggait
- A Very Buble Christmas at Cottiers
- Byres Road: Christmas Market and Christmas Tree Light Up
- Creative Conversations: Apphia Campbell
- Save the People’s Palace and the Winter Gardens
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival 2021
- Christmas Appeal Benefit – The Primevals
- Springburn: Rome of the North – Ian R. Mitchell
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Christmas Commissions, Exhibition and Gifts Kelvin Art Studio & Gallery
- Bob Law’s Blog: Old Kilpatrick. Lusset Glen to Bowling Walk
- GWL – Walking Tour with Denise Mina
- Unoma Okudo @ The Blue Arrow
- Palindrome: Cohen – Art Painting & Photography Exhibition
- Fidel Up Close – CCA
- COP26: The Climate Justice Cabaret
- Glasgow: Global Day of Action for Climate Justice
- Havana Glasgow Film Festival – Sustainable Cuba
- Castro’s Spies, Havana Glasgow Film Festival
- Lego Build The Change – University of Strathclyde