Sixth Jimmy Reid Annual Memorial Lecture 2018
THURSDAY 27 SEPTEMBER, 2018
A future after Brexit. Unions and the Scandinavian Model of Social Democracy.
GENERAL SECRETARY, TRADES UNION CONGRESS
PRESIDENT SCOTTISH TRADES UNION CONGRESS
This year marks the 150th anniversary of the formation of the TUC. As in 1868, workers and their organisations are under sustained attack from austerity, job losses, neo-liberal economics and anti-union legislation. Union membership is at its lowest since the 1930s, especially amongst younger workers. Wages have suffered their longest period of stagnation since the Napoleonic War in the early 19th century. Frances O’Grady will discuss whether the Scandinavian model of social democracy offers a viable means of re-introducing workers’ rights, social justice and equality back into our workplaces and communities after March 2019 when Britain is due to leave the European Union.
The Annual Lecture is the main public event of the Reid Foundation. Previous speakers have been Alex Salmond, Len McCluskey, Nicola Sturgeon, Jeremy Corbyn and Mark Serwotka. We are grateful to the Lord Provost and the City Council for providing the venue and hospitality. George Square has witnessed many famous labour movement events over the years. The Lord Provost will give a short civic welcome prior to the commencement of the lecture.
Doors open from 6.00pm, tea and coffee, exhibition and stall in the Picture Gallery. The lecture commences at 7.00pm, followed by question and answer session, finishing about 8.30pm.
The City Chambers, George Square, Glasgow G2 1DU is in the city centre convenient for Queen Street and Central railway stations, Buchanan Street Underground and bus routes. There is limited street parking bays and nearby multi storey car parks.
Tickets: £10/£6 unwaged can be purchased below.
This section: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
Filed under: Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers
- St Andrew’s Day– Torchlight Parade
- Family Weekender at Websters
- Screening: It’s Not All Rock and Roll
- Glasgow’s Golden Generation – October Bunjee Jump
- The Sorries at Cottiers
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- West End Festival 2021
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Glasgow Doors Open Day 2021 – Arlington Baths Club
- Big Tunes at the Bandstand – Kelvingrove, Glasgow
- Do The Right Thing, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Our Ladies, GFT
- Annette, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wildfire plus Q & A at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021
- Glasgow Fancy Women Bike Ride
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Networking Climate Cafe – SCCAN
- Riverside Festival x Turn The Tables