Remembering the 40 hour strike – Walking Tour Glasgow
Saturday, 2nd February, 2019 – 12 p.m. Starts from George Square, City Centre.
With David Lees, Ewan Gibb and Henry Bell
To commemorate the centenary of the 40-hours strike there will be a walking tour on Saturday 2nd February.
Free event – all welcome.
During late January and early February 1919 workers in Glasgow and the surrounding area were joined by miners in the Lanarkshire and Fife coalfield in striking for a shorter working week. Trade unionists feared employers would take advantage of demobilised soldiers swelling the workforce to claw back improvements in pay and conditions won during wartime. The 40-hour strike was led by trade union activists in the unofficial Clyde Workers’ Committee who didn’t trust bosses, the government to build ‘homes fit for heroes’. Strikers attempted, and were partially successful, in building a general strike among workers across sectors, and targeted strategically important sectors such as transport and power generation. To achieve this they formed militant ‘flying pickets’ which also involved demobilised soldiers and housewives.
The tour will start at George Square, scene of the famous ‘battle’ on 31st January 1919 which led to troops being deployed in Glasgow and the arrest of the strike’s leaders. The walk will take in several other sites in the vicinity of the city centre that have a relation to the strike and the radical socialist politics of ‘Red Clydeside’.
- Artists Moving Image Festival The Tramway
- The Lying King – Glasgow Christmas 2019
- First a Girl, GFT
- Miles Davis: Birth of the Cool GFT
- 2040 at GFT
- Pity Party Film Club I Shot Andy Warhol CCA
- Queer Classics & Matchbox Cineclub City of Lost Souls CCA
- Alan Ereira ALUNA – screening and talk CCA
- Cooking Pot Biting the Hand that Feeds, CCA
- UK Jewish Film Festival 2019 at GFT Glasgow
- Leona GFT
- Depeche Mode Spirits in the Forest
- Michael Hutchence: Mystify GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection