Pizza Express Byres Road review Pat Byrne
227 Byres Rd, Glasgow, G12 8UD
After a trip to the pantomime at Webster’s Theatre, Ryan, Josh and I went along to Pizza Express in Byres Road. I thought it was a good choice for the youngsters as kids all love pizzas – the boys certainly enjoyed their meal but Pizza Express also cater very well for the adults. John joined us later and both he and I enjoyed the food and the ambience.
The youngsters loved their dough balls with fresh veggie slice starters, which they chose as starters from the children’s menu, and we also shared some garlic bread. Ryan went for the pasta dish and Josh had a Margherita Pizza – their verdict was positive and they opted to choose from the main menu for their sweet – chocolate fudge care. Going by the sound effects that was also a success.
The restaurant is very child friendly and we had good fun trying to guess the Christmas puzzles on the children’s colouring and fun sheets provided, while we waited for our food to arrive. Not that it was long coming. The service is excellent and our waiter, Matt, was both affable and efficient. Claire, the assistant manager, was charming and reassured us that she would keep an eye out for John and direct him to our table when he arrived.
John and I had pizza. He opted for the large Four Season’s Pizza and raved about the section with the mushrooms. I had a medium size Leggera Padana PIzza – it looked and tasted fabulous – Goat’s cheese, caramelised onions, spinach, red onions, tomato and garlic oil. Without doubt the most colourful pizza I’ve ever had – a great idea adding a small salad – which sits in a scooped out area in the middle of the pizza.
We were fairly indulgent and finished off with delicious profiteroles and cappuccinos.
It’s a beautiful restaurant with a very spacious layout and stylish decor. There are some quirky touches, which the children enjoyed, including the eye test board, which we will all tried. It’s also fun watching the pizzas being prepared and tossed with great skill.
I would definitely return to Pizza Express, it’s anything but run of the mill and the impression is that they are committed to pleasing their customers. A particular advantage at the Byres Road restauarant is the small separate bar area, where you can order Peroni on draught or even a gluten free Pilsner beer.
There are also gluten free dishes on the menu – all accredited in conjunction with Coeliac UK.
And look out for special deals.
Or call 0141 334 8444
Glasgow Wes End – 227 Byres Rd, Glasgow, G12 8UD
Conveniently situated across from Hillhead Underground.
Mon 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
Tues 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
Wed 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
Thurs 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
Fri 11:00 AM – 10:30 PM
Sat 11:00 AM – 10:30 PM
Sun 11:30 AM – 10:00 PM
Or call 0141 334 8444
- Landscapes Without Figures, The American South West by Ian R. Mitchell
- Opening Party – The Landing Hub Refuweegee Fundraiser
- The Landing Hub – COP26 Fringe Event
- Feeding the City – screening and panel discussion
- Dumb Instrument with Duglas T Stewart
- COP26: The Plan That Came From The Bottom Up
- A Play, A Pie and A Pint Autumn Programme 2021
- COP26 – Glasgow’s Wee Forests
- Christmas Appeal Benefit – The Primevals
- Halloween 2021 – Spooktacular Walk, Glasgow Green
- Listening Party Launch – Jim Byrne’s E.P. ‘4 Country & Folk Songs’
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2021
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Tanna Slamma Ding Dong, Tannahill Arts Festival
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Atlantic Slavery Glasgow ‘Hidden in Plain Sight’
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: Dora Wright
- Helen Rose Outdoors Rigging Hill, Largs.
- Mika & Me Eyewear Glasgow