No Dominion by Louise Welsh, Book Launch at Waterstones Sauchiehall St, 12 July, 2017
All welcome at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street on Wednesday 12 July at 6.30 p.m.
It is seven years since the Sweats wiped out most of the world’s population. But for those who survived the outbreak, life has gone on. Stevie Flint and Magnus McFall are now part of a small community on the Orkney Islands, without mobile phones or TV, without antibiotics or fuel, who are trying to rebuild the rudiments of democratic civilisation.
When three strangers arrive on the islands, however, they upset the fragile community, bringing long-buried tensions to the surface. Realising that a number of the islands’ young are missing, Stevie and Magnus set off on a journey to the mainland to get them back – a mainland swarming with outlaw gangs, and where self-appointed autocrats and religious fanatics hold sway . . .
Thrilling and breathless, No Dominion asks what happens when the scaffolding of civilisation collapses, and how far we’d go to preserve our humanity.
Louise Welsh is the author of eight novels including The Cutting Room, A Lovely Way to Burn and Death is a Welcome Guest. She has received numerous awards and international fellowships, including an Honorary Doctor of Arts from Edinburgh Napier University and an honorary fellowship from the University of Iowa’s International Writing Program. Louise Welsh is Professor of Creative Writing at the University of Glasgow.
- Scottish Opera Breath Cycle Programme for Long Covid Patients
- Refugee Week Conference 2022
- Kavya Prize – New Writers Prize To Celebrate Scotland’s Ethnically Diverse Communities
- Second International Alasdair Gray Conference
- People’s Palace 124th Birthday Celebration
- Glasgow National Park City AGM
- Spotlight on Stress- free online masterclass
- Balloch Open Mic Blog: A New Kid On The Block
- Beyond Form Creative Writing Courses
- Glasgow Film Festival 2022 – More Events Announced
- Carlton Jug Band at The Clutha
- Report Launch – Tackling Food Poverty
- Sense Scotland Christmas Concert Online
- Calton Ceilidh Open Mic 14 December, 2021
- Hope GFT
- No Radio Silence – launch of film by Unity Sisters
- Roma Night at The Rum Shack
- Hugh Reed and the Velvet Underpants, Carlton Studios
- A Christmas Carol- A Hauntingly Hilarious Family Panto!
- Be Bop Bairns Christmas Party