No Dominion by Louise Welsh, Book Launch at Waterstones Sauchiehall St, 12 July, 2017
All welcome at Waterstones, Sauchiehall Street on Wednesday 12 July at 6.30 p.m.
It is seven years since the Sweats wiped out most of the world’s population. But for those who survived the outbreak, life has gone on. Stevie Flint and Magnus McFall are now part of a small community on the Orkney Islands, without mobile phones or TV, without antibiotics or fuel, who are trying to rebuild the rudiments of democratic civilisation.
When three strangers arrive on the islands, however, they upset the fragile community, bringing long-buried tensions to the surface. Realising that a number of the islands’ young are missing, Stevie and Magnus set off on a journey to the mainland to get them back – a mainland swarming with outlaw gangs, and where self-appointed autocrats and religious fanatics hold sway . . .
Thrilling and breathless, No Dominion asks what happens when the scaffolding of civilisation collapses, and how far we’d go to preserve our humanity.
Louise Welsh is the author of eight novels including The Cutting Room, A Lovely Way to Burn and Death is a Welcome Guest. She has received numerous awards and international fellowships, including an Honorary Doctor of Arts from Edinburgh Napier University and an honorary fellowship from the University of Iowa’s International Writing Program. Louise Welsh is Professor of Creative Writing at the University of Glasgow.
- Christmas Play in a Day, for kids Hillhead Library
- Books at the Botanics, Christmas 2019
- It’s A Wonderful Life GFT
- Take 2: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, GFT
- The Bolshoi Ballet Encore: The Nutcracker GFT
- Her Smell, GFT
- The Kingmaker, GFT
- Cottiers – Bar, Restaurant, Theatre, Glasgow West End
- Are We In A Book – book launch The Dram
- Christmas Carousel The Platform
- Stevenson Jewellers Glasgow West End
- Future Glue Christmas Party
- The Sensational Alex Harvey Experience Christmas & New Year Party
- Project Ability Christmas Show 2019
- The Flying Dug Quiz Night, Glasgow
- Kirsteen Harvey Live, Cottiers
- I Am A Rohinga Creative Conversations
- A Lad in Maryhill, Pantomime, Maryhill 2019
- Karen Campbell: Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Oscar Marzaroli Exhibition Streetworks