New Season at The Star Folk Club starts 9 February, 2016
The Admiral Bar, Waterloo Street, Glasgow G2 7DA and start at 8.00pm.
9th February Tony Mcmanus £12
Tony McManus has come to be recognised throughout the world as the leading guitarist in Celtic Music. From early childhood his twin obsessions of traditional music and acoustic guitar have worked together to produce a startlingly original approach to this ancient art. In Tony’s hands the complex ornamentation normally associated with fiddles and pipes are accurately transferred to guitar in a way that preserves the integrity and emotional impact of the music.
16th February Dave Gibb £8
Left Handed, Balding, Middle aged, Songwriting Folky from Scotland’s Highest Village. A singer of songs and a teller of tales from the hills of Dumfries & Galloway who happily fingerpicks his way through life’s travails. Songs funny or sad, happy or grim, meaningful or meaningless played fast or slow (sometimes both at the same time)…….He likes a giggle.
23rd February Archie Fisher £9
Archie is a seminal figure in the Scottish folk revival and one of Scotland’s finest songwriters and performers. His interpretations of traditional songs, his own compositions and the material of his fellow contemporary songwriters are fully endorsed by those who know and care.
1st March Steve Dan Mills £9
American singer songwriter Steve Dan Mills was the co-founder of Speed Limit 35, one of the first folk rock bands in the American South. He has been enjoying a solo career since the mid 70’s and has performed at the Kerrville Folk Festival, London Folk Festival, Belfast Nashville Songwriter’s Festival and more. His music has been described as “the real thing, sensitive, moving, cathartic and healing.” He couples his very powerful vocals with acoustic guitar and harmonica. His masterful storytelling, based on his rich and challenging life experiences, lays the groundwork for each song in a most engaging manner. He elicits tears and laughter and instils hope in his audience. He has recently moved to London and has begun performing in folk clubs throughout the UK.
- Opening GYFF Gala: The Farewell (PG)
- Something Fishy Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- The Wedding Planner, OranMor
- An Evening with Women at the Carlton Studios
- Clydebuilt Festival 2019
- Wullie Davidson’s Bus Pass Ramblings: St Andrews
- Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2019
- For Sama GFT
- Drag Kids, GFT Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;Surrection GFT
- Iain Matthews at The Doublet Bar
- Tannahill Arts Festival Paisley
- Cleek the movie – Tannahill Arts Festival
- Adam Sutherland Tales ‘n’ Tunes Old Hairdressers
- The Glasgow Guild Talks 2019
- Ando Glaso Gypsy Music Short Course CCA
- Doghouse Roses & Dumb Instrument CCA
- Take One Action Film Festival 2019 CCA
- Women’s Support Project – Abused: The Untold Story, GFT
- Kaleidoscope Realms, Matchbox Cine Club