Merlin James Long Game, Until 20 March, 2016. CCA
Tue-Sat: 11am-6pm // Sun: 12noon-6pm // Free
0141 352 4900
Until Sunday 20 March, 2016.
The first large scale Glasgow exhibition from painter Merlin James opens CCA’s 2016 gallery programme and includes work from the 1980s to the present day.
Continuity and duration are active elements in the artist’s process: often he reworks paintings over long periods, making it impossible to pin them down to one year or one stage of his practice. In his exhibitions, as in the studio, newer paintings echo, develop or diverge from earlier ones in a strikingly diverse body of work. James’ intensively worked canvases encompass a wide variety of subject matter including empty interiors, rural landscapes, architecture and scenes of sexual intimacy. He further extends temporal reach by referencing genres and antitypes from across art history. As well as a painter he is known for his extensive critical writing on art.
James’ concern with the history of his medium is not, however, a conceptually detached one, and the material qualities and problems of painting-as-object remain paramount. As part of this, James often constructs highly individual integral picture frames for his works. In recent years he has also begun to incorporate objects into the paintings themselves – often small model buildings made with offcuts from the framing process. Some of these studio ‘by-products’ (as the artist refers to them) will be included in Long Game.
Further details, including accompanying events, will be announced soon.
Centre for Contemporary Arts
350 Sauchiehall Street
Glasgow G2 3JD
- Opening and Closing Galas announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Celine and Julie Go Boating, GFT
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Different from Others with Illustrated Talk, GFT
- Finish Exposure Films from the Arctic
- Waves GFT
- Bombshell GFT
- Chinese Visual Festival 2020
- Coastal Connections Festival 2020 review and photography by Pauline Keightley
- Preview: Parasite + Satellite Q&A with Bong Joon-ho-GFT
- Bohemia Bespoke Vintage Wedding Fair
- Cottiers Burns Supper and Ceilidh
- Burns Night (excellent)
- Burns Night Ceilidh, Stereo
- This is not a Burns Night – Dance of the Underclass
- Burns Baby Burns Dance of the Underclass Aftershow Party
- Cine(thesia) Coming Out, Kelvin Hall
- No Fathers in Kashmir, GFT
- The Personal History of David Copperfield, GFT
- Creative Conversation: Kate Charlesworth, Illustrator and Writer