McCrea West of Scotland Cricket Club – Cricket in Glasgow’s West End – Not Just For Sports Fans
A hidden green gem for a summer day in the West End?
Tucked behind the Burgh Hall in Partick and moments from the bustle of Dumbarton Road, you will find the West of Scotland Cricket Club. The Club always welcomes new players but anyone can enjoy this quiet open park space – with a bar and outdoor entertainment every Saturday:
The club is open to all through the summer, providing a relaxing haven to meet with friends, enjoy a drink and maybe even watch some cricket. If you have never experienced the sound of a leather ball hitting the middle of a cricket bat while enjoying a cold drink, you can finally discover the joys right on your doorstep.
You don’t even have to like cricket to come and enjoy the atmosphere.
That’s not to say “West” is new. Formed in 1862, the club has hosted international cricket and the Hamilton Crescent Ground is famous for hosting the first ever football international. The club still play after more than 150 years at the same venue, and will be vying for promotion from the Western Cricket Union Division One this summer (2017).
Cricket is a thriving sport in Glasgow and across Scotland. Standards are high, with many professional players on show. West has games everyweekend – and many weekday evenings – between May and August.
Entry to the club is free for all and – on a nice day – the crowd can easily fill the seats in front of the traditional pavilion, often spilling out onto the grass bank alongside the scoreboard.
There is a thriving youth section with youngsters from the ages of six to 16 enjoying the run around, hit, catch and throw after school. Even in winter, the club simply revert to the indoor training centre behind the club house and keep up their playing time. It’s a family club that welcomes all, new and old.
Traditional Cricket Tea
And if you get the chance, try and stay for a traditional cricket tea done in the grandest Glasgow West End style. Some say it’s the best teas at any club in Scotland!
The club is located at Hamilton Crescent, 40–44 Peel Street, Partick. Glasgow G11 5LU
The club is open to members and non-members every evening from 5pm and all day Saturdays and Sundays from April to August.
There is a full bar with facilities for all. There is a function room available for events.
New supporters and players are welcome from newbie to long time cricket tragic fan.
Find out more by following West of Scotland Cricket Club on Facebook or visiting www.westofscotlandcricketclub.co.uk
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- West End Festival 2021
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Glasgow Doors Open Day 2021 – Arlington Baths Club
- Lizzie Reid at King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut
- Big Tunes at the Bandstand – Kelvingrove, Glasgow
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Do The Right Thing, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Our Ladies, GFT
- Annette, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wildfire plus Q & A at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021
- Glasgow Fancy Women Bike Ride
- Siobhan Miller at Websters Theatre
- Bill W and Dr Bob, Websters Theatre
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- A Christmas Carol- A Hauntingly Hilarious Family Panto!
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Networking Climate Cafe – SCCAN