Mary Irvine’s blog: West End Festival 2016
A Reet Gud Neet (that’s my maternal origins emerging!)
What a wonderful few days and I’m not referring to the strange phenomenon sweeping the area – clement weather – rather to two visits to Glasgow. The first was to the Hydro to see Neil Young. I’ve composed my account of that in longhand. Will type that up and send it to Pat. No immediate rush.
It’s just after 6am. I was woken by the less than dulcet tones of next door’s house alarm going off for 10 minutes before the lady came out, positioned her ladder and sorted it! Fifteen minutes later another alarm, some 150 yards away, went off in sympathy and continued for twenty minutes. I gave up at that point, got up, watered my olive trees, fed the birds, had breakfast whilst watching Episode 2 of ‘Versailles’ on iplayer (don’t have a TV) and then decided to type an account of my second visit to Glasgow this week to see an event from the
West End Festival.
A third alarm has just gone off. Pity the three didn’t go off altogether. They could have tried for three part harmony. Not that CSN would have needed to worry.
Back to the event
Ten Writers Telling Lies
This taster, prior to release of Book and CD ‘Tn Writers Telling Lies’ in 2017, took place at Waterstones Book Shop in the Byres Road, starting at 7.30 I’m not going to give you a blow by blow account because I’m sure Pat will do a better job! I’ll speak of the whole show as I enjoyed it. There were no negatives as far as all the performances were concerned. (Apart from a technical problem with a wee bit of feedback, soon sorted). Prose, poetry and song. All very professionally presented. Will mention here about remembering to turn off your mobiles at any event. One did interrupt the flow of a poem…
I hesitate to single out any of the authors as the standard of writing was par excellence. However, James Carson’s writing was, for me, brilliant. Have to admit I LOVE anything irreverent or even sacrilegious and this was, in my opinion, perfection. (For info I do have a background in theology so am aware of the nuances of those two adjectives)
As for the music, songs, singers ‘Jim Byrne and Friends’ (including the banjo/guitar player they picked up off the street!) were all accomplished and the standard equalled that of the authors.
Can’t wait to get the CD/book that is being produced. I believe information on date of publication will be on this website, so keep an eye out for that. In the meantime, and at the risk of being accused of nagging, go along to one of the two repeat sessions of ‘Ten Authors Telling Lies’ devised/conceived/arranged etc by the talented singer/songwriter Jim Byrne and his lovely wife Pat. Almost forgot. It’s FREE!!!!
Must go now. Have to get to the airport. No, not nipping off to Greece again – unfortunately. Collecting someone.
West End Festival ‘Ten Authors telling Lies’ Upcoming Gigs
Siempre Bicycle Cafe 162 Dumbarton Road, G11 6XE
Wednesday 15 Jun 7:30pm
Tchaiovna House of Tea 42 Otago Lane, G12 8PB
Sunday 19 Jun 2:30pm
Some of Glasgow’s most talented writers got together with the musician Jim Byrne and wrote ten songs. Come along and hear the music and the story behind each song.
Sunday 19th is also the Gibson Street Gala – from 1 pm so you could combine the two!
Part of West End Festival 2016
Filed under: Books, Talks, Poetry Events, Events, Fairs, Festivals and Fundraisers, Mary Irvine: Writer and Philhellene, Ten Writers Telling Lies, West End Festival 2016, What's On Glasgow West End: cinema, clubs, theatre, music, events, festivals, community and more
- Helen McClory: Short Story Writer and Novelist at Creative Conversations
- Wrest and Maz O’Connor, Celtic Connections review Fionnuala Boyle
- Winter Tree Identification Workshop
- Luca Manning & Fergus McCreadie Celtic Connections
- John Inglis Exhibition New Collages 2016 – 2019 Compass Gallery
- Red Thread Film Club Lynne Ramsay – Gasman and Ratcatcher
- A Hidden Life, GFT
- Weathering With You GFT
- Waves GFT
- Bombshell GFT
- Cleanin’ Up The Town Remembering Ghostbusters GFT
- Preview: The Man Who Killed Don Quixote + Recorded Q&A GFT
- Everything – The Real Thing Story Q & A
- Celtic Connections & Fallen Angels Club: Danni Nicholls
- Isobel Campbell Isobel Campbell with Hannah Fisher & Sorren Maclean and Nina Violet Celtic Connections
- Celtic Connections: SHHE SHHE + GRISLY FAYE Hug and Pint
- Rachael Dadd, The Glad Cafe Celtic Connections
- The Wandering Hearts and Zoe Graham, Celtic Connections
- Mobilising for COP 26 – Climate, Justice, Jobs Glasgow
- Sonnet Youth #31 Old Hairdressers