Lies of the Land – Chris Dolan, Book Launch Review by Pat Byrne
There was a great turn out at Glasgow Caledonian University on a beautiful sunny evening and the atmosphere in the new building (which I had never seen before) was brilliant. It was good to see so many familiar faces in the crowd including Dini Power and Willy Maley, Donal McLaughlin, Linda Duncan, Maeve Mackinnon, Alice and David Hayman, the actor Elaine C. Smith and Allan and Stuart from Vagabond Voices, publishers of the book.
The event kicked off with Jan Hulme, the University Secretary and Vice Principal, welcoming everyone. She was very fulsome in her praise of Chris’ work at the University, including teaching his teaching on the MA Television Fiction Writing Course with Ann Marie Di Mambro.
Chris then said hello and explained that he had his many friends out in force to play some music, perform a short piece of drama and read extracts from ‘Lies of the Land’. It could not have been any more enjoyable. Chris, along with his band, entertained us on fiddle and guitar with Paul Cuddihy (also a writer) on vocals and then Maeve Mackinnon treated us to some wonderful singing – what an amazing voice she has.
Everything was marvelous and great fun. Elaine C Smith was in excellent comedic form, ad libbing like nobody’s business, and the fantastic David Hayman providing both tension and gravitas as he read from Chris’s book.
I’ve started reading ‘Lies of the Land’ and can’t wait to see what Maddy Shannon get’s up to in this second book of the series.
You can buy the book (on sale for its launch) at Vagabond Voices
- Winter Wonderland Christmas Street Party Ashton Lane
- Christmas Tree Light Switch On & Street Market 2019 Glasgow West End
- Mary Irvine: Book Week Scotland 2029 – Events in West Dunbartonshire
- It’s A Wonderful Life Seamore Neighbourhood Cinema Glasgow
- Irish fiddle player Michael Gorman Cd launch and Concert to celebrate his Glasgow connection
- First events announced for Glasgow Film Festival 2020
- Martin Stephenson & The Daintees OranMor
- Alternative Pantos in Glasgow 2019
- Oscar Marzaroli Public Reception Streetworks
- Difference by Design Arts and Crafts Fair, Websters
- Santaland and Season’s Greetings Websters
- Julesbasar – Norwegian Christmas Fair Glasgow 2019
- Panto-Crime, Murder Mystery at Websters with Dinner & The Logans
- Nina Allan Speculative Fiction Writer – Creative Conversations
- After the Wedding, GFT
- Luce, GFT
- Havana Film Festival 2019
- Matchbox Cineclub Best of Final Girls Berlin 2019 CCA
- Then And Now & What Could Be: Housing Rights & Solidarity CCA
- Libre / To the Four Winds Alliance Francaise Glasgow