Launch Govanhill Book Festival 2019
Friday 9 August, 2019 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
In association with Go South: Southside Book Festival
The Rum Shack, 657 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow G41 2AB
Two new exciting book festivals with a difference come together to celebrate their launch and their events in the Govanhill International Festival. Free.
6.00pm: Welcome to Govanhill Book Festival
Writer Gerry Hassan and Govanhill Baths board member Vivienne Wilson welcome and introduce the book festival.
6.05pm: Govanhill: More United than Divided
Govanhill has changed in recent times with huge social transformation, new enterprises and initiatives as well as being covered in the press with often negative, unhelpful headlines.
Join journalist and Govanhill resident Catriona Stewart to discuss what is really happening with community champion Raza Sadiq, who has run the Active Life Club in the area for 20 years, Graham Steel: a Govanhill resident for 30 years, who is secretary of Govanhill Community Garden, Marian McSeveney, who runs the Govanhill Go! Social media pages, and Rahela Cirpaci of the pioneering Romano Lav working with the Roma community in Govanhill.
Part of Govanhill International Festival
- Unchained Comedy Club at McChuills
- Gathering the Seeds, Woodlands Community
- West End Festival 2021
- Anna H. Geerdes – Borderline Exhibition
- Glasgow Doors Open Day 2021 – Arlington Baths Club
- Big Tunes at the Bandstand – Kelvingrove, Glasgow
- Poetry Launch Party – Jim Ferguson and Kirsty Taylor
- Do The Right Thing, Glasgow Youth Film Festival
- Our Ladies, GFT
- Annette, Glasgow Film Theatre
- Wildfire plus Q & A at Glasgow Film Theatre
- Sweetheart, Glasgow Youth Film Festival 2021
- Glasgow Fancy Women Bike Ride
- Lin Anderson on Bloody Scotland 2021
- Bernard Maclaverty Creative Conversations
- Creative Conversations, University of Glasgow
- Networking Climate Cafe – SCCAN
- Riverside Festival x Turn The Tables
- Govan Stones Music Festival
- Autumn Creative Writing Courses – Dr Tawnya Selene Renelle