Launch Govanhill Book Festival 2019
Friday 9 August, 2019 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
In association with Go South: Southside Book Festival
The Rum Shack, 657 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow G41 2AB
Two new exciting book festivals with a difference come together to celebrate their launch and their events in the Govanhill International Festival. Free.
6.00pm: Welcome to Govanhill Book Festival
Writer Gerry Hassan and Govanhill Baths board member Vivienne Wilson welcome and introduce the book festival.
6.05pm: Govanhill: More United than Divided
Govanhill has changed in recent times with huge social transformation, new enterprises and initiatives as well as being covered in the press with often negative, unhelpful headlines.
Join journalist and Govanhill resident Catriona Stewart to discuss what is really happening with community champion Raza Sadiq, who has run the Active Life Club in the area for 20 years, Graham Steel: a Govanhill resident for 30 years, who is secretary of Govanhill Community Garden, Marian McSeveney, who runs the Govanhill Go! Social media pages, and Rahela Cirpaci of the pioneering Romano Lav working with the Roma community in Govanhill.
Part of Govanhill International Festival
- Penetrate: Translate Reading Group: Five Measures of Expatriation by Vahni Capildeo CCA
- Book Launch: The Siren Awakes by Linda Jackson
- Woodlands Community Gardens, Storytelling Circle ‘Tell A Story’ Workshop
- Scottish Writers’ Centre Dove Tales: Dia de los Muertos
- Irene Lebeter, Meet the Author, Fruin Fam
- ‘A Place for the Work and the Human Being’ Kelvin Hall
- From Lens to Pen, Finnieston
- Mòd 2019 CCA
- Africa in Motion Film Festival 2019 Glasgow
- Creative Conversations: Robert Alan Jamieson – Shetlandic Poet and Translator
- Sloot – it’s Oot!!! – Book Launch with Ian Macpherson
- Glasgow’s Welcome University of Glasgow
- Bearing Witness: the state of journalism and press freedom across the globe
- SAFR Takeover/The Primevals/The Reverse Cowgirls
- Mòd 2019: Gaelic Conversation Café Public CCA
- Black History Month Street Level Photography Temporary Hoarding Magazine and Anti-Racist Graphics
- CINE[STHESIA]: Filmichean Gàidhlig/ Gaelic Films Ghlaschu Mod 2019
- James McCune Smith Memorial Lecture Black History Month 2019 University of Glasgow
- Black Abolitionists in Scotland, Black History Month 2019
- PURGATORY Dante’s Divine Trilogy Part Two by Alasdair Gray